a sad day for sharkie... :(

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
so, i had a wonderful day spent with lots of family, and new family and i came home to find all the equipment in my eel/shark tank completely off or busted.

it seems we had a power surge (according to the neighbor) and apparently i ended up with a faulty timer powerbar and i came home to find my shark dead and Kona gasping at the top of the tank more pale than i've ever seen him get.

:( i am soooo dissapointed! I was JUST getting to where icould tell that my shark was indeed male and was going to pick a name for him... D: i feel like :pooh: now.... i just want to cry. all that work.... and he didn't even live 2 months under my care.... and now i'm worried about kona, i fixed the stuff that was busted (the heater) and luckily was able to get the filter going again but i lost my baby :(

Sharkie, So sorry for your loss. It is unbelievable that happened, just unbelievable. We hope the best for Kona and for you. Hugs your way.

C

thanks guys.... i wish i could sue the city! everytime they do something electrical it jacks up SOMETHING in our house... last time it was our TV. :grumble:

Kona seems to be looking better and the tempature is back down to my normal 78. heres hoping hes alright...

biff, thats actually the EXACT ones i have! and it pisses me off because i came home and it was black. all it had plugged into it was the filter, powerhead, and heater.

Thats what surge protecters are supposed to do. they blow so the equipment attached doesnt. I have my TV and computer and soon fish stuff on surge protectors with battery back up. If any of your equipment was damaged they usually have insurance to cover it.

There are protecters with auto reset but they cost $$$ and its a good way to start a fire if the overloard condition still exsists.

biff, thats actually the EXACT ones i have! and it pisses me off because i came home and it was black. all it had plugged into it was the filter, powerhead, and heater.

Thats what surge protecters are supposed to do. they blow so the equipment attached doesnt.

Yep, that's what I was gonna say. The surge protector protected your equipment. If the surge protector is blown, your equipment still works because of it.

Sorry about your shark, :( its terrible when something like that happens.

It happened to my 180 about 3 years ago, there was a fire the had taken out the power line (I was unaware that it had happened) until I got home, my tank had been off for about 10 hours, I lost almost everything. :(

Yeah, it doesn't take long for your animals to start to suffer if the power goes out. Lots of people here have purchased back-up generators for such situations. But they are expensive and will only last for so long.

Some things are out of our hands, no matter how hard we try to prevent them. It really sucks, but it sounds like this was one of those situations, and there really wasn't anything you could have done about it :(

Back