A small (3 ") eel-like nocturnal salt water animal

Delfi96

Reefing newb
I am relatively new to the salt-water reef hobby. I noticed, for the first time since I started my 65 gallon tank 4 months ago, an eel-like, 3 " long "fish" that was undulating rapidly, skimming the top of the water, then resting vertically on the glass in a corner of the tank. It reminded me of a small enginner goby but this creature was thinner (abouit the diameter of an earthworm) and did not appear to have any markings but was reflecting an off-white or neutral color under the moon-lights of the tank. I tried to net it but was unable to do so. It finally disappeared behind a rock.
I don't think this is a bristle worm. This particular denizen seemed smooth and had no segments.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? It is not a fish that I purchased so I am wondering if it grew within the live rock over the past few months.
Any help would be appreciated. I want to make sure I don't have a hitchiker that will eat my corals and/or clams that have been doing so well (so far) in my tank.
Thanks!

Any chance you can post a picture? I've seen needlefish in the ocean while snorkeling. They are always doing just what you described....undulating at the top of the water. What an interesting fish to have!

Thank you for your suggestions. This fish is small and I only saw it under the moonlights so I could not get a photo of it. I did not notice any long "beak". Its head was like a continuation of its body; I would describe it more like a goby.
Hopefully, it will surface again and I can take a photo of it.
Thanks!

Would love to see a pic. I looked at the link yote posted and both pictures show the fish with it's mouth open. When I've seen them, the mouth was always closed and they look as you described. The head just seems to be a continuation of the body. Good luck!

In the dim light, I did not notice any fins. It reminded me of a young engineer goby that, under the moonlights, looked like a solid, off-white color.

I don't think it was a shrimp fish. I believe shrimp fish are elongated but still covered with a plate. This fish did not appear to have a plate and moved like a snake, undulating in the water.

I've also see eels hitch hike in with live rock.Actually a couple of different times at the LFS.So it is possible that you've got yourself an eel.

Back