A tank, Maybe/Maybe Not

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Thnx to biff, I came acrosss the website glasscages.com and I see that they have a 75 tall tank (48x18x21) for $130. But i have a couple of questions.

1. I think the the regular dimensions of a 75 gall tank is 48x15x24. Is the one stated above better or no? Will it be harder to find a stand for/canopy?

2. In walmart, they have a 55 gall with alot of stuff i probably dont need for $155. So why is glasscages so much cheaper. (there 55 gall is $85) it seems to good to be true.

3.Has anyone used them before, and decided to go with freight shipping (UPS i think) i just wanted some estimate on how much it would be to ship to SC.

4. I was thinking about getting the tank drilled, as to have all the real estate that Im paying for, but do you all think i should order theres reef ready??

5. Will it be any much harder to light then a regular 75 gall tank??

Can anyone help a brotha out.:frustrat:

The walmart tanks are condusive to saltwater. After you open it all up and start reading they say freshwater only. Tanks themselves arent really that expensive, its all the other stuff that makes it an expensive hobby. Youll end up paying way more for lighting and live rock than you will for your tank. Most places wont ship tanks either, they will go through a local vendor, your best bet is to shop around at you LFS' and see whos selling wiht the least mark up IMO.

as for lighting, it shouldn't make a huge difference. Decide what kind of tank you want and look to find lighting that will match your coral or fish choices. A good set of T-5 lights will penetrate about 20 inches or so. If your tank is taller than that, you will want to make sure any SPS corals are close to the top and LPS near the middle but nothing but soft corals and zoas near the bottom. Good luck

-Doc

why is the walmart tank condusive to freshawater, i thought a tank was just a tank. and just ditch the extra stuff???

That's not true about the Walmart tanks, the tanks themselves are fine for saltwater. I have had a 55 gallon Walmart tank that I've used for saltwater for 7 years now, with no leaks and no problems. It's the rest of the stuff that comes with the tank that's not for saltwater. So you're basically paying for all this crap that you'll not be able to use.

Glass Cages will pre-drill and make your tank reef ready for you for an extra fee. It's probably a good idea to let them do it as it's really not that expensive.

As for the difference between the two 75s, there really isn't much.

Glass Cages is located here in middle Tennessee area.Many of the local reefers like them and many don't.Costumer service is terrible is what I hear the most.You will have to support the tank completely underneath-not just around the edges like most tank stand.All I say is do your research before buying.

My Oceanic is 48x18x21 which is the standard 75g.So the Glasscage tank dimension is the standard size.I would go ahead an get a reef ready tank.One more thing,I have to idea what shipping will cost but it will be expensive.

thanx reef, that was very informative and exactly what i needed to know.
I guess im still on the journey to finding my first tank.:grumble:

Glasscages tanks are standard sized but come without the plastic edging/trim on the top and bottom. The tank can be supported only in the corners or on the edges like any trimmed glass tank. However if you get a standard stand the stand will be 1/2 inch wder and longer than the tank. This will make no huge difference as you will still have a 1/2 inch bearing surface all the way around the tank. If you are insecure about that just screw on a 1'" x 2" piece of wood around supporting edge inside stand. The inside dimension will be the same as other 75 gallon tanks with edging. Glass cages will drill (grind)holes fairly cheaply (cheaper than a LFS) for back wall overflow and closed loop circulation systems and bulkhead returns from sumps etc. They will also install a full lengh glass overflow box on the back wall if so desired. They are real nice and stop all bowing in the back wall allowing for the drillng of as many holes as you could possibly want for return nozzles and such with out fear of lost strength. They will also put clear Saphire glass in as a front glass which is really nice as it does not have the green tint of standard plate glass used in other aquariums. Biffer is right about the Wally world tanks. Keep the tank and throw away the rest.

Im getting my tank from glass cages... only because of the price and what I get.

I have actually had a good experience with them. I emailed them one day and in my signature is my phone number and the next day they called and answered all the questions I had.
I am from middle tennessee but im living in Knoxville tennessee for school and the shipping would be 250 so I am defiantly picking it up.

@Hornet- No I never got the tank from GC's, due to the fact of shipping being high. But i did find a 75 at my LFS for $156. Its not drilled or anything so im going to have to get it drilled.

Drilling holes in a glass tank is easy, just requires patience. Let me know if you have any questions or need to know where to get the holesaws, the overflow bo, or if you just want some suggestions or advise.

@fatman-where should i go for an overflow box?? i was thinking about doing a bulkhead overflow but with a few modifications, like this:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/bulkhead_modifications.html
:bounce:Check out http://glass-holes.com I buy all my overflows and bulkheads and Loc-Line piping from them. They also make my custom grated boxes I use as feed inlets for my closed loop circulation system. Thet solvent weld a bulkhead on the box as it is made. They will post the box picture if you email a request for a picture. I use a 90 degree fitting instead of a "T" fitting after the Bulkhead. Instead of the open "T" I drill a 1/4 " hole and insert a piece of 1/4" rigid plastic air line into the hole until sucking noise stops. You can order predrilled 90 degree fittings from glass-holes. I just wrap a piece of electrical tape around the tubing at that point to keep it from sliding further into pipe and cut it off about an inch above the pipe fitting. I find the glass-holes owners very easy to deal with. They answer any and all questions. They even answer emails on weekends. The two owners are both engineers, and have their own reef tanks. They will custom build anything out of acrylic for you. They are definitely good people. Their prices are cheaper than any I have found, and they have hole saws for cutting glass as well as providing directions they even have a video on line.:^:

I watched the videos and a few others on you tube today. I'm thinking about drilling my tank (once) I get one. In the mean time I may try to pick up a cheap non-tempered tank off of craigslist to test it out.

I watched the videos and a few others on you tube today. I'm thinking about drilling my tank (once) I get one. In the mean time I may try to pick up a cheap non-tempered tank off of craigslist to test it out.
I think you will find your self happy with the results if not outright prideful of your new gained expertise in going where few others have the courage to tread. Glass cutting is the new reefers challenge. It is really simple though!

Last edited:
Back