A tank not so Famous.

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Well, I never posted any of this up, so here it goes! This is my 90 gallon. I started it as a FOWLR but it has evolved over the past 11 months.

The Stand!
DSCN1447.jpg

With the new tank in it.

DSCN1452.jpg

All the light needed for a FOWLR right? NOT!

DSCN1446.jpg

I only thought it was ready to go. The sump. This setup didn't last too long. Sponges are a BAD thing.

DSCN1449.jpg

To be continued.......

This is the only early shot of the tank I have. Its about 3 weeks after it cycled. The three "first fish" Chromis (Sushi, Sashimi and Sake') are on the left and the new Snowflake Clown was acclimating.

103_0773.jpg

Sure wish my sand was still that white!

A closer shot of the Clown acclimating. He has become a naughty little fish! Hiding in the overflow TWICE and attacks me every time I put my hand in the tank.

103_0774.jpg

This is as much algae as I ever had. This is also my first patch of Coraline. I was very proud of it!

103_0784.jpg

More to come........

A random Full tank shot. This is with the recently installed LEDs.

103_1022.jpg

The lights I replaced with the LEDs. Quite a hodge podge of equipment.

103_1020.jpg

A much cleaner, bright, better install of the new ones.

100_1032.jpg

More to follow........

Just a random shot. The circled areas are where I inquired as to what I should place in these spots. So far I have Monti's on the upper one.

100_1038.jpg

My GSP. Its not as green any more. Got a little bleached with the new lights. Its starting to colour up again though.

103_1012.jpg

My Dragonette "Chubbly". My Hairy mushroom colony is in the background.

103_0948.jpg

I guess I should post some specs on my equipment. Seems a lot of folks do that in the threads, so......

Stand is not custom, but its pretty high end I guess. It has an open back and an acrylic basin in the bottom just in case!
Tank is an Aqueon, drilled just let of center.
Standard Aqueon overflow.
Currently I'm running 3 Koralia power heads in the display tank. One 1400 gph and two 750 gph. I have another 1050 gph that I can run if needed.
Lights are the generic, dimmable, 120w LEDs. A 12" Ecoxotic Stunner 453nm strip is used for moon light. It dimmable and does not shine directly on the water.
Rock is Fiji, Vanuatu, Pacific shelf and run of the mill base rock. Total weight including sump is 128 lbs.
Sand is 1/2 Pink Fiji and 1/2 white Fiji at an average depth of 2 1/2".
Sump is a genaric "125" gallon rated. It has a 18 gallon capacity.
Return pump is a Sicce 3.0 rated at 714 gph.
Skimmer is a eShopps 120 that uses a Sicce pump.
Heaters are two 150 watt ehiem units.
The sump has 3" of Fiji white sand and live rock in the center section.
I currently have a Koralia 240 gph power head in the sump.
Two mini jet 606 pumps provide flow to 2 Two Little Fishes 150 reactors as needed. These are also utilized for water changes. One for GFO, one for Carbon.
The JBJ ATO handles auto top offs and powers another mini jet 606.
The sump light is an Ecoxotic 48" 14,000k/453nm white blue stunner strip with reflectors.
RODI is supplied by a Buckeye Field supply 150 gpd 4 stage unit. Running at 40 psi I get about 90 gallons a day if needed.

Current stocking:
3 Blue Green Chromis
1 Snowflake Clown
1 Maroon Clown
1 Flame Angel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow tail Damsel Fish
1 Scooter Dragonette
1 One Spot FoxFace
1 GIANT turbo snail
11 Turbin snails
20 Nass snails
Tons of pods and misc little snail things.

They are the cheaper Chinese knock offs. I think they are the Taotronic 3w units modified with a dimmer. If not, they sure look like them! Each is 120w. I'm running them at about 40%. I can't testify to how good things grow with them since they were only recently installed.

Well the tank is in black out mode at the moment. I'm trying desperately to get rid of the black sand issue. I think now that it may be Dinos, but who knows. Hopefully, in a few days, I'll have some GOOD photos to post.

Thanks for the compliment on the torch! I really like it. It has grown a new head since I picked it up. I'm going to have to move some other corals as its reach is pretty impressive. All in due time though.

2 months since my last tank update. Since then:

Sand is clearing. Not sure why, but I'm glad.

Added a Sand sifting Starfish. I see it once and a while. Guess he is happy.

Added, then lost, a Sea Hare. I really liked that guy, and only planned on having him for a little while to help clean the tank. I guess he starved. Really bummed about this.

Did a little frag experiment with some Zoas and Palyos. Just a few small pieces taken off of my larger colonies. All three (1 Zoa and 2 Palyo) have really taken off!

Added 4 Monti frags, 2 mushroom colonies and a tiny Hammer frag.In all I have 22 corals. Well, some are the same kind (2 Green Monti's, 2 green striped Mushrooms, several spots of the same type, Zoas and Palyos) but there are 22 different areas populated by corals now. I guess I cover the whole range now. SPS, LPS and softies. Since they are all starting to grow I guess something is going right!

Replaced all my filters in the RODI unit too. The DI stuff started changing colour so I figured it was time. I also went back to IO salt this time. I wonder if that is having an effect on the sand?

Sorry, no pictures. My Camera was dropped by my son and I haven't replaced it yet. It wasn't that good anyway! Christmas is coming up...... maybe then? I still want to mount up the GoPro in the dive case and shoot some pictures and video from the inside. Maybe soon.........

New year and new update.

Nothing much to report really. Lost a Chromis. He jumped and I didn't see him till it was too late. My Snowflake went MIA about a week later. I have no idea what happened or where it went.

Corals are doing okay. Moved a few around but haven't added anything new.

Sand is still okay. The SSS is doing its job and the snails seem to be happy.

Got a little behind on water changes due to depression....lost my dog....but am back up to speed now. All equipment is up and running even though a snail jammed my ATO sensor and dumped 5 gallons of RODI into the sump. Livestock didn't seem to mind.

The LED lights are still doing great. No complaints and everything seems to be thriving with them.

Have a wonderful New Year everyone!

Back