about skimmer

MamawVal

Reefing newb
:question:My kids got me a skimmer for Christmas & I have it running now but what concerns me is the water thats leaking around the cup lid & going back into the tank. Is it supposed to do that? I read that you don't want that foamy water returning to your tank as it's highly toxic. But hubby says the oveflow has to have a way to escape someplace. Well we are both new at this & need all the help we can get. So should I take it out & get a different one or what? (I have a 55 gal. tank. w/ a good bit of LR as well as a double filter & a single filter & 2 water moving pumps.)
Also, where can I get good additives for my tank? Is there a kit of them? I am needing calcium & was wanting the set of additives on hand in case I need them. Maybe I'm wrong...who knows...lol Or is there a better way to get the calc. level up?...Told ya I was a newbie!
And what is a good light to get? I need a 48" one but don't want to spend a fortune, so I know the MH's are out for me. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

what brand is skimmer, and can you post of pic of your setup. I use seachem reef complete it has calcium, magnesium, strontium in it which are important for reef tanks. You can usually find this stuff at petco or petsmarts or if you can have local pet store order some for you, i use it and seachem reef carbonate. The only reason i use this stuff cause i don't do regular water changes so i need to replenish trace elements, but if you change out your saltwater like your supposed to than the new saltwater has all the trace elements you need in the new salt. you really don't need a high calcium unless you keep sps, or clams, and lps corals.

the skimmer cup should not leak around the threads. my coralife super skimmer has an o-ring to seal off the cup, yours may have something similar, make sure it isn't missing or pinched.

I agree with dfrench. the seachem calciuim is good (that's what I use) and I have heard the kent turbo calcium is good too. just find one in a powder form, and not the liquid. you get more bang for the buck with powder.

the lighting depends on if you are wanting a reef, or fish only. the nova extremes are a good buy, they have two, four, and eight bulb configurations. if you are wanting to go reef, i recomend the nova extreme pro 6 bulb. it's about the best bang for the buck right now. drsfoster and smith.com is a good place to search for lights. they are allways having good sales on everything.

I like the seachem reef complete too.Thats all I've ever used as far as calcium goes.I like the powder better than the liquid because the powder gives you a lot more for the money.
Go a head and pick up a magnesium kit to.Thats ones that gets over looked quiet a bit and is just as important as calcium.

I agree with what everyone else has said -- the skimmer should not be leaking. Once the gunk is in the collection cup, it should stay there. Pictures of it and your setup would help.

And T5s are definitely the way to go for cheaper, yet effective lighting. You don't need to dose calcium unless you know you have a deficiency. Pick up a test kit, then add calcium supplements if you need to. If you don't need to, then spare yourself the hassle.

Back