Acan fragging Q

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
What's the safest/most successful way to frag acans? I have 9 heads on one frag plug, and I want to cut a couple off. Any tips?:question:

I've never fraged Acans.But I was told to take a clean flat screw driver and stick it between the heads and tap the screw driver with a hammer.That method is supposed to keep every polyp intact.

I have personally never fragged any stoney corals. But I've seen people frag acans with all kinds of household saws and chisels.

Get the polyps to close up and retract tight so they are flat against the rock. You'll have to piss them off to get them to close up all the way, so wave your hand around and disturb them for a good 2 minutes. Pick up the rock and wave it back and forth in front of a powerhead.

When they are closed, simply score through the soft tissue with a sharp exacto blade. It can take several passes or cuts to get all the way in between the polyps and down to the bone. Then dremel a score in the bone where you want the coral to come apart. All you need is a 1/8" deep score on the top of the coral. Right into the bone - score it 1/8" deep with a dremel cutting wheel.

Now flip it over and cut about 1/2 way through from the back side. You can put a flat blade screw driver in the gap and twist it to break the last 1/4" of bone. It should snap off right on the score line that you cut into the top.

Obviously it may not fracture perfect every time, so if you're scared you can cut the entire way with a dremel. Just cut as far down from the top as you can get and then cut as much from the bottom as possible. If there's still bone because the skeleton is thick or the dremel just isn't big enough to cut all the way through, insert the screw driver and twist.

Don't you guys worry about some type of infection or colony death happening that'll spread when doing this? I've only fragged my lil zoas so I really don't know much, but I'm certainly curious.

TIPS AND TRICKS
It is important to never frag more than about 25-30% of a mother colony at one time.

It is best to dip both the mother colony and the new frag in a coral dip such as SeaChem Reef Dip or Two Little Fishies ReVive Coral Cleaner after fragging. This dip will help ward off bacteria, fungus, and protozoans. Some aquarists also use a vitamin C additive such as Kent Marine’s Marine C following propagation to aid in healing.

How to Frag - Coral Propagation: Conservation through Propagation for Aquarium Coral is Easy

Read more at Suite101: How to Frag - Coral Propagation: Conservation through Propagation for Aquarium Coral is Easy How to Frag - Coral Propagation: Conservation through Propagation for Aquarium Coral is Easy

Back