acclimating bubbletip 'nems?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Anything special I need to know aside from drip acclimating for a long period of time (2 hours-ish?) Might be picking up my first 'nem today if the LFS still has them in - they are gorgeous rainbow BTAs that were traded in by another customer and they were supposed to hold one for me, we'll see!

How fun! I have been thinking about trying my first nem in the tank as well. Hope they still have one for you. Good luck with it!

I'm bummed, they were supposed to hold one for me but sold it. But the guy who traded them in was supposed to bring in more and hasn't yet, so when he does they are going to hold it (again) for me. Fingers crossed I get one. These things were gorgeous - I saw them a few hours after they were traded in 2 weeks ago and held off buying one then because I wanted them to acclimate and expand before I put it in my tank. I know I made the right decision but now I just hope the guy comes back with more. Oh well, I made some other coral purchases instead ;) I'll try to get some pics tomorrow!

They should sell it to you at a discount for telling you they'd hold it and then selling it to another customer, that's really crappy!

For the acclimation, I would say 2 hours would be a minimum....most places encourage acclimation times for sensitive inverts in the 3+ hour range. Honestly, the longer the better if you have the time.

A bit off topic, but I always wonder about the whole drip acclimation for 2+ hours - how do you keep the water temperature in the bucket from falling when its out that long?

To me I think you did the right thing by holding off because nems are sensitive and you never know the real reason why that person was trading them in..

Back