Acclimating Corals - URGENT

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys I took advantage of a free shipping offer and ordered some new corals. I have an orange sun coral and my wife really wanted the red chili coral so that is on it's way too. The website I bought them from recommends a temperature acclimation only but I am also reading other things on the net that say I should drip them?

I am sick of "half-assing" things with my reef so I am fine spending the rest of my day dripping them...I just want to do it right! Which method should I use?

Just float the bag while open, or hitch it on something on the side, and put a small amount of water in every 5 minutes. Then pour half the water down the sink, and do the same, do this a few times until the water is very diluted and put the corals in the tank from there.

There is actually no need to do anything more than temp acclimate the corals. Float the bag for an hour and then put them right into your tank.

That's where I am confused. I have found a lot of forums that some members got into heated debate about it...and I want to just do whats best for my corals. Some people say don't even tempa acclimate just "get it out of the toxic water" and right into the clean water.

You definitely always want to temp acclimate. The reason you don't need to drip is because it will continually stress the corals out by adding new water slowly over a long period of time. Just stress them once by putting them right into the tank and its over. Fish and inverts are a different story and need to be acclimated to the water slowly.

Good advice! I am following the guide provided by the seller. I am dripping my fire shrimp and I have the new corals floating! I'm so excited!

On a side note...to further humble myself I realized that my MH were not plugged into the timer...for oh I don't know...2-3 months? No wonder my anemone is pissed...I need to further degrade my reef "experience" and start from square one it feels like. My mom always told me "Pride goes before the fall"

Good advice! I am following the guide provided by the seller. I am dripping my fire shrimp and I have the new corals floating! I'm so excited!

On a side note...to further humble myself I realized that my MH were not plugged into the timer...for oh I don't know...2-3 months? No wonder my anemone is pissed...I need to further degrade my reef "experience" and start from square one it feels like. My mom always told me "Pride goes before the fall"

Was your light always off or always on? You never noticed that in three months? What the heck is going on over there? Have you been in the hospital or something? :D

Last edited:
I drip acclimate everything, but maybe that's just me.
I figure a slow drip over an hour or so is less stress than dunking straight in the tank. Could be wrong though. Just seems to make sense.
After dripping I temp acclimate before placing in the tank.

I drip acclimate everything, but maybe that's just me.
I figure a slow drip over an hour or so is less stress than dunking straight in the tank. Could be wrong though. Just seems to make sense.
After dripping I temp acclimate before placing in the tank.

I do exactly the same thing. I thought that was the best way but now I'm doubting myself. :frustrat:

I temp acclimate then lugol's dip in tank water, and then into the tank. All told about 45 minute process.

I use the drip method on everything-fish,corals,inverts.

You do know that you bought non-photosynthetic corals.Both will need to be fed heavy to survive since they don't require light.

+1 reeffreak. If those guys are going to be at your office, it may be challenging to keep them. They require daily hand feedings. And the chili coral is usually very hard to keep alive because it requires constant feeding which pollutes the water.

I know it's not going to be easy to keep these guys...but I think I am up for the challenge...there goes my ego again! I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress.

Hahaha! Good luck. Sun corals are very easy to keep, very hardy and grow very fast as long as you feed them. They are definitely not a "hard" coral in any way, just a time consuming one!

I still avoiding corals that need feeding such as the Sun corals since I do have to go on trips from time to time. I don't know how you guys do it.

saltwaterfish.com - The sun coral was $35 and it is actually really nice size...its about 30 polyps and the chili coral has about 10 stalks coming off of it and it was $39. I priced them out other places and saltwaterfish.com seemed to be the cheapest.

Also if you order $99 worth and use the code freefedex they give you free shipping versus their normal $249.99 order for free shipping

Back