Acclimating/Low salinity

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
My LFS from whom I buy from keeps their salinity at 1.019 and I keep mine at 1.023. How long should I be acclimating my fish before I add them to my tank? For my new clown I took 5 hours to slowly bring the salinity up, is this long enough? How would you acclimate a fish with that much salinity difference?

Thanks.

I am not an expert on acclimating but I would definately say 5 hours is plenty if not more than enough time for that.

LFS keep there salinity down in there fish only tanks to help the fish breathe better, it also helps to fight off parasites. I keep my Q tank at 1.014 with copper in it. With that being said I only drip acclamiate for 1 hour no matter what the circumstance. Anything after an hour the o2 in the water begins to dimnish.

Your slow drip should double the water that the fish comes in as a minimum. once the water has doubled you can safely introduce the fish to the system, however, make sure you take at least a half hour to acclimate the new arrival. Temperature is as important as difference in salinity.

I agree with john, but I pour water fropm my tank into a bag instead of drip them. Alot of LFS's keep their salt level low to help reduce the chance os illness. My guy said he kept his at 1.021 and just yesterday at petco the guy told me they were having a prob with ich so run has had thier tanks at 1.019.

speaking of new stuff I think I'm going to buy a pistol shrimp today, maybe give my goby a friend, even though he doesn't deserve it :)

I float the bag for ten minutes. open the bag and add a half a cup of my tank water every 5 minutes until the bag has about doubled in size - usually taking 30-40 minutes.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

sadly I went to the lfs that always has pistol shrimp and she informed me that she no longer can order stuff because she runs out of a gardening store and they are shutting her section down and her job is going with it :( oh and she didn't have any is where I was going with that.

yeah she is really cool and likes me a lot. she was always discounting stuff for me. she just gave me 20% off my prism skimmer I bought yesterday for the heck of it, though I think at this point she really doesn't care since she is out a job in august anyways.

Back