Acclimating multiple items at once

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
With the free shipping available for larger orders, i'm sure this is a common occurance. I have another live aquaria order coming in today that consists of 4 different items. 2 sps, one lps and one clam. No fish. Live Aquaria's instructions suggest placing the bag in the tank, opening the bag, rolling down the edges to create an air pocket and then add small amounts of tank water every couple minutes, and so on. But I've experienced that this is easier said than done, especially since their bags are clamped shut with a metal staple and the tops need to be cut off, leaving you with much less bag material.
On the other hand, if I was to drip acclimate each item for an hour or two, that would take forever doing one at a time.

So I'm wondering if all bags/items can be emptied into one bucket and drip acclimated all at once? I would assume the main water source is all the same if coming from the same diver's den facility, but wondering what may have happened to that water in transport.

I suppose I could also run 4 separate drip lines, each into their own bag... i was just wondering if I could simplify things.

What do you guys do with multiple item orders?

I've acclimate several corals at the same time a lot actually. On January 29th I did 9 frags at once that I picked up at the frag swap. What I do is just throw all the bags in my fuge for at least 2hrs to make sure they're temp acclimated. Then I just pull the corals out and right onto the frag rack. I rarely have an issue with loosing a coral. I don't bother adding little bits of tank water unless its for a fish or inverts.

IMO, I think that by adding little bits of tank water to the corals it only prolongs the stress on them, especially with SPS. I'd rather stress them on time then multiple times over a period of a few hours.

Last edited:
If your order does not have fish, you can empty all of them into a bucket and drip them at the same time.

I use my sump to acclimate large orders. I take some packing tape, and tape each bag to the inside of the sump, and line them up. This way the bags don't move around. For smaller orders, I tape the bags to the side of my display.

I always get multiple corals to get the free S & H and I place them in one container and drip them for about 3 hours. I also use a heater to slowly bring the temperature up. I have also begun dipping them right before placing them into the tank.

Fish should be acclimated the same way but separate from the corals as the water may contain medicines.

If your order does not have fish, you can empty all of them into a bucket and drip them at the same time.

I use my sump to acclimate large orders. I take some packing tape, and tape each bag to the inside of the sump, and line them up. This way the bags don't move around. For smaller orders, I tape the bags to the side of my display.

+one for biff ive been doing it:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: that way for years

I've acclimate several corals at the same time a lot actually. On January 29th I did 9 frags at once that I picked up at the frag swap. What I do is just throw all the bags in my fuge for at least 2hrs to make sure they're temp acclimated. Then I just pull the corals out and right onto the frag rack. I rarely have an issue with loosing a coral. I don't bother adding little bits of tank water unless its for a fish or inverts.

IMO, I think that by adding little bits of tank water to the corals it only prolongs the stress on them, especially with SPS. I'd rather stress them on time then multiple times over a period of a few hours.

Same way I do it as wel. Though I do dip them as well, just to make sure no unwanted pests make it in my system.

Same way I do it as wel. Though I do dip them as well, just to make sure no unwanted pests make it in my system.

What do you guys use for a coral dip? I was going to get some frags from a local person from craigslist who is trying to down size and I want to make sure I dont bring in any bugs.

What do you guys use for a coral dip? I was going to get some frags from a local person from craigslist who is trying to down size and I want to make sure I dont bring in any bugs.

You can either do an RO dip or use an iodine solution like Lugol's

+1 Biff. That's the way I do but minus the tape. I use large paper clips. I done it this way with both frags & inverts. Once I did them both at the same time in the same bucket.

Back