acclimating pods??

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I got a mandarin a while ago (like 2 or 3 months ago) from the lfs, the guy gave it to me cheap cause they run copper in the tanks with fish in them and so theres never pods in them and they had this mandarin for a while and he was afraid it was gonna die soon. Anyway, it had kinda sunken in sides when i got it, and hes been in my tank ever since. I had a fuge set up with macro but didnt see any pods in there so i bought a bag of them online which was FULL of pods when i got it. I kinda just dumped them in, cause the bad didnt have much water in it to begin with, just a big piece of filter paper.

My question is, should I have acclimated them somehow?? The mandarin still has sunken sides but he's obviously eating something in there since hes still alive...

I see pods in the sump but not as many as i would think would be in there after 3 months... so im thinking most of them died and the last few that survived are the ones that are in there now.

Im gonna get another bad of pods soon and was wondering how i should add them. All in the fuge? Half in fuge and half in DT? All in DT? Acclimate or not? Add them at night? etc.

Thanks

Since the pods are an invert and since you have no idea what the salinity of the water they are in is I would assume a drip acclimation type thing would be in order to ensure max survival. Just get some airline tubing tie a knot in it. losen the knot enough that you can start a syphon. then slowly tighten the knot so its just a slow steady drip. drip this into the pods bag until full. Then add to tank. Half to DT half to sump. a bunch will get chewed up in the pump when getting pumped back to the DT.

well thats what i was thinking but the bad i got literally had just enough water to soak the filter and then a little bit extra... like half a cup extra... so i figured its not really acclimating b/c i not changing the salinity of the water in the bag to match the salinity of the tank since there isnt any water in the bag to start with... but that makes sense, ill do that next time

thanks

Brine Shrimp (similar to pods) need little acclimation. I would guess pods don't need a big acclimation either but then in this hobby its always best to be cautious if you are unsure. Pods will multiply quickly in a fuge.

Back