Acclimating Snails??

jahdisp25

Reefing newb
I went and got a couple mexican turbo snails today, brought them home, put the bag in my tank for about 15 min, then dumped the bag and snails into a bowl of water. Every 5 min for about 15 min I added a 1/4 cup of my aquarium water to the bowl.

Snails were fine in the bowl, then I put them in my tank and they didnt do anything? Did they get shocked and die or what? Whats the proper way to acclimate them?

I usually set up a drip line using some air line tubing and drip acclimate my creatures for around 2-4 hrs.

Snails tend to be touchy when it comes to the change of salinity. They could have been shocked and might make it or might not. Just keep an eye on them

Brian

Snails do tend to take acclimation a lot harder than other animals. I recommend acclimating them over 3 or 4 hours. If that's how long you took, then you'll just have to wait and see. Because if you don't do the drip method, what you did works well too.

the problem I have with acclimating is that you can't just set them in some bowl over a couple hours or the water temperature will get cold and then they will get shock that way. I guess the best way is to set up something with a heater in it and add the water that way but then you need to use a lot more water which is a pain.

A lot of times my snails or hermits didn't react till a bit of time passed. In the case of my turbo snails I added them during the day and they usually don't do much till it is night time.

You could always drip acclimate them to match the salinity and other parameters, then float them in to get them acclimated to the temp of their new tank

Back