Acclimation

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
So I was on another reef site and we got to talking about acclimation. One of the members said they have never acclimated their corals. EVER.
Thoughts? Should you not?

Thats what I was thinking. One of the members is having issues with their acan. When I asked about acclimation another member thought the idea of acclimating one was plain idiotic....

I think corals, more than any other thing can survive just being put in. I know a few members dont acclimate their corals on here, but for fish or other inverts i wouldnt skimp on the acclimation process.

I've had no problems just throwing them in, but my fish tank had no asterina starfish until I introduced a small rock with a yuma on it. I'd be more concerned about dipping and making sure there's no pests, than I would be to acclimating. Guess it depends on what it is really.

I've never acclimated any of my corals, I haven't had any problems doing things that way so far.

I've only temp acclimated my corals... I've floated the bag in the tank for about 10 mins and then just place them in the tank.

Everyone is different. Tap water, no acclimation, using a biocube ;), buying from petco, not dipping, not wearing a seatbelt, not flossing twice a day- some people half ass life and it works out for them, others do these things and it has unpleasant results. Guess it depends how seriously you take stuff and/or how much of a gambler you are. There's always luck involved as well. I think we all know what we SHOULD do, and, at the end of day you're playing russian roulette when you just cross your fingers, plop the coral in and pass out without brushing those pearly whites.

I started out doing drip then decided it was a bit much.

Now I put them in a bucket add a cup of water from my tank and let it sit for a about 20 minutes then I slather it up with super glue and stick it where I want it.

I havent lost any corals.

i dont drip aclimate my corals either i do however float the bag for 30 mins then add a lil tank water after 10 mins,then 20 mins then place on the frag rack for a couple weeks to aclimate to my lighting

Back