Achillies Trouble!!

chuck78

The Reefanatic
Hey all, just got my 8" Achillies tang from the LFS last week & I don't even like how that went down. The owner of the store did me solid by waiting til my 55 gal qtank was done cycling....then on the day I went to pick him up, one of his employee's was to f%#$ing lazy to move the decorations while attemting to catch the fish & needless to say, the fish got all scraped & scratched up. The two biggest scrapes were on his face & on his left fin. The scrape on his face is healing nicely, but the other on his fin looks as if it may be infected. My usual remedy for such a prob would be Maracyn, but the qtank already has copper in it. Can maracyn be used with copper a tank? I now feel that I shoulda left the fish there so the owner could see what his lacky did:frustrat: FYI...the fish cost $400

Ungh....sorry I have no answer for you, but that sucks!! You do need to tell him regardless. For a $400 fish, you really should have left him there or at least took pictures :( Poor guy. Honestly, call the LFS first of all and put in a complaint. If you wait too long, they can easily blame the scratches on you.

Thanx for the input. I'm sure my word is good in that store plus I raised hell for the last 10 mins that I was in the store. I'm like the "Black Norm Peterson" from the show "Cheers", but it happens to be a fish store...LOL

Last edited:
I would make sure the owner is aware of the situation, there is no excuse for this with any fish really, but especially for a $400 fish, that is known to be fragile during the acclimation process.

I can't really add anything about the medication, but as a fellow Achilles owner, I really do hope he pulls through for you. Is he eating well?

Oh- and lets see some photos!

I would assume that the copper would also be able to deal with any bacterial infection because it can take out the tanks natural filtration system, which is why you dont treat the DT.

I really hope he pulls through :(

This fish won't keep still long enough to get a good pic. He's SUPER ACTIVE...hope he stays that way so as to burn that bacteria off with his high metabolism.

Good luck with him. They can be pretty magnificent once they get to their full size. I saw a 2 footer while in a marine-reserve in Hawaii.Try to post a picture of it.

Back