acrylic and Silicone for overflow box and sump

chbix

Reefing newb
Ok so I went to lowes and got the acrylic and silicone.

I couldnt find silicone that said aquarium safe, pulled out the iphone and a quick search showed that people have used GE silicone 1 for windows/doors with no issues. It is 100% silicone and does not have any mildow resistance chemicals.

this is what I got Shop GE 9.8 oz Silicone I Waterproof Window & Door Clear Caulk at Lowes.com

Is that the right stuff, want to make sure before I use it.

Also lowes only had .08" thick acrylic, is that going to be thick enough?

CAUTION: It says under the specs that it is mildew resistant. I would NOT use it! Sorry.

Does it say safe for potable water on it.

:dunno:

Last edited:
I don't know... Midlew Resistant doesn't necessarily mean it contains anti-microbial additives. GE I is what most of us have used.

Honestly, it won't matter at all. The silicone won't bond to the acrylic anyway. You need to buy an acrylic cement online (they don't sell it at lowes or HD)

I looked at a DIY from melsvreef and he says he used weld on #16, another one said weld on #4. There are posts all over that say it works for sumps and stuff, on the bottle it says adheres to glass and plastic......

Weld on it is. Wanted to work on it on my day off tomorrow but ohh well.

Anyone think that .08 acrylic is too thin?

To just put acrylic baffles in a glass sump, you can use silicone. But to build it all from acrylic, he is right -- you'll need to use something better.

I do think .08" is too thin. It's funny that they didn't have anything thicker -- I've always seen .25" or thicker, I think.

Well scribbing didnt work couldnt keep the damn thing on the same line, and when I thought I was good tried to snap the piece and cracked the acrylic.....went to lowes got some better clamps and a blade for my circular saw......and some more acrylic....

Saw worked better, but still had some crappy cuts. How do you guys cut the acrylic?

got all the pieces cut for the overflow box, started bending the long piece, some of the bends arent as precise as id like but are close. Gonna try and finish it up tomorrow

+1 BL1. Depending on the thickness of the acrylic how many times you score it. 1/16" 2 or 3 times, 1/8" 5 or 6 times, 1/4" about 10 -15 times. We use both the "cutters" & a 200 tooth 7" circular saw blade put in a table saw to cut acrylic & lexan at work. Probably already cut but maybe useful for someone else.

+1 BL1. Depending on the thickness of the acrylic how many times you score it. 1/16" 2 or 3 times, 1/8" 5 or 6 times, 1/4" about 10 -15 times. We use both the "cutters" & a 200 tooth 7" circular saw blade put in a table saw to cut acrylic & lexan at work. Probably already cut but maybe useful for someone else.

I've cut 1/4" acrylic with only scoring it 4 times. I also tried using a circular saw but it melted the edge a bit.

I've cut 1/4" acrylic with only scoring it 4 times. I also tried using a circular saw but it melted the edge a bit.

LOL! I work for, and I'm going to quote one of the owners, "A mickey mouse outfit." LOL. In the whole time I've been there we've never changed the blades in the cutter. The cirular saw blade in the table saw works like a charm. It might be because it spins faster then the circular saw. I know when I used just a regular blade in the table saw it melded and chipped it badly.

Band saw or scroll saw works the best for me.

Scoring works, but I had to score about a zillion times until the cut was almost 1/2 way through before I could snap it off clean. It's hard work to score that deep in 1/8 acrylic - 1/4 would be darn near impossible from my experience.

For bulk heads and PVC parts, go to FlexPVC:
FlexPVC.com

i am going to be using my router to cut my acrylic (it's 1/4 " thick)
(I am building an internal overflow box)
I am using the "Weld-on" for the acrylic and silicone to install (I bought a different type of silicone (at lfs) so paid more, but sure it wouldnt harm fish.
HD and Canadian Tire did not carry anything that didnt say something about mildew resistance. (even the GE brand) I didnt want to chance it.

i heard if you reverse the circ saw blade it will cut vinyl house siding with out chipping it . i wonder if it work for acrylic also. i'm building a sump and will try this . could work.

Back