Acrylic vs Glass vs Starphire

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Ok so I am buying a new 90 gal tank. I still am not sure on the overflow (it's for a new FW setup so I may just be using a canister filter but I don't want my heater in the tank so I would have to get one with a built in heater or use a sump. Also, I want to have an ATO for the tank so that complicates things even more. I am actually leaning more towards no overflow. Anyways that's not the point. The point is, what should I make it out of. I hear that acrylic is actually clearer than glass but is it better than Starphire glass? What are the big plusses and minuses to each. It will be a planted tank with a custom ash stand that has 3 dresser drawers under it that will go in our new bedroom if that makes any difference. Thanks guys!

Casey

Glass
Pros: Cheaper, Scratch resistant
Cons: Heavy and not as clear as the other two, harder to modify (I.E. drill)

Acrylic
Pros: Clearer than glass, lighter than glass and easier to modify
Cons: Costs more and scratches easily.

Sapphire Glass
All the Pros of Glass, but it's as clear as Acrylic.
Cons: Still heavy, hard to modify, and there's usually an up charge for it (though it's still cheaper than Acrylic I believe)

I think that's right, someone let me know if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks bebop. I think I may go with starphire glass on the front and regular glass on the sides, you are only going to be able to see the front of the tank anyways and I really like how glass looks. Has anybody owned all 3?

I would not use acrylic for saltwater tanks at all. It scratches so easily, the live rock will beat it up, sand blowing around can abrade it... Acrylic tends to look like crap very quickly. I had an acrylic pico tank, it was all scratched before I was even done aquascaping.

I would either go all glass, or glass with starphire on the sides that you will be viewing.

Back