actinic blue

qxcontinuum

Reefing newb
actinic blue 34$ with taxes

regular fluorescent from home depot 6$ + blue spray paint 15$
The spray will do about 5 other light tubes.

I wonder if the trick works?

I doubt it will

Flourecents use different phosphours on the inside of the bulb. When these phosphours are excited by the electricity inside, they release specific wavelengths of light. Actinic lights have peak wavelengths around 420 nanometers. The blue spraypaint will just tint the white light coming out of the regular bulb blue. It would also block quite a bit of the light from exiting the tube. Since paint is comprised of solids.

Brian

By that last responce, I am assuming that you beleive that painting a white bulb blue will provide the same effect as an actinic bulb. So I am going to provide you some information to you.

Here is a link to a 10000k bulb. It has the color output spectrum
UVL T5 V-HO AquaSun Bulb 10000K

Here is a link to an actinic. Also with the output spectrum

UVL T5 V-HO Super Actinic Bulb 420NM

Notice that in the actinic the blue wavelenghts are much higher than in the 10000k bulb. If you paint a thin enough layer of blue paint on the 10000k bulb to allow light to get through, you are basically creating a filter that would prevent all the colors except blue to get though. It is not changing the output spectrum of the bulb, it is just changing the light that is able to get through. You would also have to make sure that the color of the paint is one that would allow the right blues to get through.

You are also not talking about a 10000k bulb either. Standard flourecents tend to be even a warmer light than that. They are usually a 6500k bulb. Check the specifications in this link here
Philips 32 Watt 4 Foot T8 Daylight White Long Life Linear Fluorescent Alto® Light Bulb 2 pack - 138388 at The Home Depot
That means there is even less blue light available to filter through your layer of paint.

Also, since paint is a pigment, it will even block the blue light that you are trying to filter. Ruducing the output even more.

If you want, go ahead and try, but the results will probably be not what you are looking for.

Hey BJ , i believe you. It sounded folished every since the beginning. Thanks for all these infos!
Maybe this option should be only use for night time. Moon

Yeah horrible idea, it's gonna flake off and then fall into your tank. Plus you would have to find a coat of spray paint that was clear blue, most are solid colors allowing no light to pass through. And how does this cost you $36? Last time I checked fluorescent lights were much cheaper.

Just wondering, is it possible you're huffing some of that spray paint you're planning on using?

Last edited:
Yeah horrible idea, it's gonna flake off and then fall into your tank. Plus you would have to find a coat of spray paint that was clear blue, most are solid colors allowing no light to pass through. And how does this cost you $36? Last time I checked fluorescent lights were much cheaper.

Just wondering, is it possible you're huffing some of that spray paint you're planning on using?

where have you checked the prices? I am in Canada.
Lol you just gave me a great idea! :mrgreen:

I agree with everyone. It will not work if you spray paint your bulb, i think you;d just end up ruining it as it will surly block so much light from the bulb.

This hobby is expensive...budgeting for it is very recommended so you can manage if you are broke like me. For moon light you could use led Christmas lights.

wow i am so lucky!
Looking for the Christmas ornaments i have just discovered some cool stuff from last year. There are some 4 led actinic blue set ups for under cars.
I've added them to the top of the tank strategically. The results are astonished and with the water movement, effects are truly moon alike.

I am sharing with you the results;

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 548
i am in love by my tank during the night time (as well as during the day of course)
Here is a video with the new Luna set up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjmmEi74XZM]YouTube - Copying Luna in my Marine Saltwater Tank[/ame]

Back