add on refugium

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
i plan on using a large thick durable tub for this refugium. any tips or suggestions on what you see here especially concerning the powerheads and controlling the flow of water coming in and out of the refugium would be much appreciated.

sumpdesign.JPG

Don't use two pumps for the refugium...either have the fuge higher than the sump or taller.Drill a 1''(600gph) drain or larger to dump water back to the sump.Size your pump to not exceed the return back to the sump and prolly a good idea to put a ball valve to further control the flow.I believe that a baffle on the left side"spill way'' before water enters the fuge would be better than water dumping directly into the fuge.

Geez...I hope that makes sense.,if not,maybe I can explain it better

i dont know much about sumps but it looks great to me..good luck..post some pics as you progress..as matthew DID!!! ;-)

Looks good but if your fuge is high and you use a bulk head and plumb it you can get by with one power head.

that makes sense Reef i had thought finding a way to make it flow over a extra bulkhead i have somewhere with vinyl tubing back into the current sump i have, and would want a baffle or some way to direct the flow to act as a powerhead. thanks for the tip reef! :)

Newb,two pumps won't work,even if both pumps are the same.The flow would be inconsistent and will more than likely cause a flood.Say for instance,on one pump the hose is even 1'' longer than the return pump...the flow rate would be less than the return.....it just won't work.

Dang everybody replying at the same time...lol

you could get by without any powerheads in the fuge. all you would have to do is add a tee and a ball valve in the drain line from the tank. it could be a small 1/2 line since you dont want much flow in the fuge. and let it gravity feed into the sump if the fuge is higher than the sump like was suggested.

Back