Add to clean up crew?

Cr1ck37

Reefing newb
I currently have the following for a clean up crew in my 29g...

3x Red Legged Hermit Crabs, 3x Nassarius Snails, 1x Asterea Snail, 2x Trochus snail, 1x Cleaner Shrimp, 1x Peppermint Shrimp, 1x Emerald Crab

Any other suggestions? Add more snails / crabs, etc? I also have a Diamond Goby which i loveeee as he keep my sand nice and clean :bounce: ...I believe I'm limited to one of these in my size tank (?)

I wouldnt add anymore they will take care of it. I tried a starfish and it didnt go well so if you decide to do one read up on them good they are really sensitive.

Diatoms go away on their own just magically LOL

If it was me, I'd add at least another 5 Nassarius Snails. I have 25 in my 120. They do a great job at stirring the sand.

My fear with Nassarius is I rarely see them except *sometimes* when it's feeding time. If they died, I'm afraid they would rot underneath the sand and cause problems and I would find out too late? Or am I thinking too extreme?

The reason you don't see them is because they burrow into the sand until they smell food. Then they'll pop out and start searching for leftover food. So, as long as you're feeding your tank they should be fine.

If it was me, I'd add at least another 5 Nassarius Snails. I have 25 in my 120. They do a great job at stirring the sand.

I agree, I have 7 or 8 in my 28g, with a diamond goby and a whole mess of small trochus snails. They do a great job.

My fear with Nassarius is I rarely see them except *sometimes* when it's feeding time. If they died, I'm afraid they would rot underneath the sand and cause problems and I would find out too late? Or am I thinking too extreme?

The other Nassarius will devour them, if they do. You'll see them all congregating on something...

WIth the Diamond goby, make sure your rock base is firmly on the tank bottom. You don't want avalanches. They will have a network of tunnels through out the rock and substrate. Mine will open and close holes which is hilarious to watch! But if your rock isn't secure they could shift killing, snails, shrimp, crab or even crush the goby. Worst case cracked glass. It's an amazingly fun fish, isn't it?

Back