Added 2 fish and no change in nitrates

recliner

Reefing newb
Last Friday I added 2 fish. I was very hesitant to get 2 at the same time because I've read about how only 1 per month should be added to allow your bacteria to increase to handle the added fish poop. I reasoned it out that they were both small (1.5" sailfin and 3" flame angel) I'm guessing it might be a combination of them being small and that I have about 200+ pounds of live rock in my tank but my nitrates have stayed at 0 in the 4 days since I've added them.
The sailfin has been pecking at some algae on my rocks (I think hair algae maybe) since the second day but I have not seen it have any of the algae sheets I put in my tank or any other food. I'm hoping he'll start attacking the algae sheets soon for my peace of mind.

The flame hid for the first 48 hours and since then comes out after the lights go out. When he's out though he mostly just hangs out in one corner near my overflow box. I haven't seen him eat anything yet. He still looks healthy and has more meat on him then the sailfin but I'm worried that he's not eating yet.

Is that normal behavior? Should I be getting more worried?

Yep...give them time to adjuts. Maybe keep the lights off for a bit, especially during feeding.

The general rule is 1-2 fish at a time. But I've added as many as 3 at once with no ill effects, but it's a 125g, so I think the tank size makes a difference. So with your 150g, I think you'll be fine. In a smaller tank, I wouldn't push my bioload that fast.

Last night I put some small pieces of shrimp in the rock where the flame angel has been hiding and it was gone this morning. I hope he ate it and not one of the other critters.
I did notice some ich spots on his tail fin though. I was expecting it since I knew it was in my tank. I wouldn't be worried if he was eating a bunch.

Ich looks totally gone and the flame is looking a little meatier now. I lost an eibli angel a couple months ago that bloated up and died after a week or two from when he started bloating, so that's my current worry.
The sailfin is always pecking at little bits of algae on my rock but hasn't eaten any of the algae sheets I've put in yet. Would garlic drops on them help?
I did have to put a mirror up yesterday cause my tomni tang started being a little aggressive to the sailfin. It was fun watching the tomni posture and try to fight the mirror.

Back