Added a One Spot Foxface

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
So I picked up the One Spot FF today. Boy these guys get stressed! I wasn't expecting them to "die" when spooked. Spotted out brown and fell to the bottom of the tank at the LFS when they tried to catch it. Scary!

I got it home and did the standard acclimation and released it into the tank. Still has the brown stripe along its back and it fluffing its dorsal fin like seemingly with every heart beat. I think we may have slightly injured one of the spines Its kinda red on the tip. I hope it heals up soon.

It immediately went and hid. Came out for food though which is good. The Flame Angel seems to be its friend which is also good. Its out in open water now, but hides every time I move. I know these guys are shy and it will take time for it to get used to its surroundings. I hope it likes my tank. Gotta be better than where it was!

Just for laughs I tested the water that it came in. WHOA!!!!

pH 7.8
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite .05
Nitrate 20 ppm

My tank is SO much cleaner its sad. I won't be shopping at that store again! I picked up 2 Turbos while I was there too. They were in the Frag tank. I tested that water too after seeing the results from the FF water. MUCH BETTER. Actually, they were exactly the same as my tank. So did the stress from the FF "pollute" the water or was the LFS water really that bad?

Oh, FWIW, that is my last fish. That completes my stocking list. Well, I do want a cleaner shrimp, but I'm in no hurry. Maybe my son will get me one for a Christmas present. ;)

Last edited:
wow, i read those parameters and i thought that was your tank. haha, but yeah foxfaces are almost always shy when first introduced. i dont know how there was that much ammonia in that water becasue i cant imagine anything living for more than a day.

Congrats on the new guy, and yeah, they're extremely shy at first, but should settle in a few days. Chances are the water in the bag was polluted by the fish during transport.

Ya, stress will cause them to release waste even faster and in the small space can cause quite the parameter spike

But where are pics of the new addition? :)

I'll get ya some pictures! Wife has the camera out of town right now. It might have to wait just a little though. She and the kids are getting in late and my pup goes in for surgery in the morning. For sure on Tuesday. :)

Congrats! My foxface is the absolute jewel in my tank :) I love those guys. They seem to forget that they're lethal LOL +1 everyone, they are super shy. Mine actually eats seaweed out of my hand now :) It took a few months, but he does it. He still has his skittish moments when there's too much sudden movements.

I'm feeding Sally mixed frozen. This guy seems to eat everything. From the vegetarian cube to the brine/mysis shrimp to the squid. Glad its a healthy eater! The only fish I have that even comes close to eating from my hand is the Clown. He actually bit me once when I stuck my finger in to "test" the water temp!

The One spot is starting to recover a little more colour today. I still think he has an injured spine on his dorsal fin and that is what is irritating him. The tip of it is reddish. I'll post up some pictures today.

FWIW, my Berner had surgery this morning. Complete tear of both the ACL and MCL. The TPLO went well and he is out of recovery now. He should be coming home in the morning! My Beagle misses him as do I.

Berner is short for Bernese Mountain Dog. Little is not quite right either! He is 170 lbs (down from 203 last year at this time) and about 6'6" standing on his hind legs. He is WAY over sized for the breed, They should be about 120lbs for a male and around 95 lbs for a female. He is by far the largest example of the breed that has been seen in many years. (I used to be in the show dog world and many of breeders have seen him!)

In other words, he is an incorrect example of the breed. He is altered and has never produced offspring. Obviously his genetics are slightly undesirable. He is however THE sweetest dog I have ever met. I got him so as to train him as a therapy dog. For children's hospitals, assisted living homes and such.

He, Lilly the Beagle and I were in a head on car crash back in 2006. Since then he gets very stressed in cars. It takes him 6+ hours to calm down from a 5 minute ride to the local vets office. It kinda ruined him as a therapy dog. (He had to sit in the car, uninjured thankfully!, while they cut me out of the car. When he hit the back of my seat, he broke it. In turn he and the broken seat broke my back.)

Anyway, we digress. I love my "little" pup and am going to pick him up soon!

The FF is doing better and even eats pellets. Don't think he is going to starve!

LOL Yeah...not little. My beagle hates riding in cars. She will salivate profusely and throw up everytime. I have to put a sheet on the seats due to her always needing to throw up. She was abused before we adopted her. My lab, on the other hand, LOVES car rides. Hops right in!

My foxface is the same he eats well but when anybody walks by the tank he will change colors to blend in to the back wall. The funny thing about him and my sailfin tang will race each other. They will start at one end of the tank and race to the other end but it is always a tie:sfish:

The water you tested was the water in the bag? I wouldn't judge the LFS too much from that. Ammonia will accumulate and be much more concentrated in that bag. Something to be aware of is that ammonia becomes less toxic when pH drops (as it will in a bag) - suddenly introducing the fish to higher pH (like mixing in tank water to the bag) can cause pH to jump rapidly, jacking up toxicity.

I never put their water in my tank either. I drip acclimate everything then catch and release. I figured that the bag water was mostly bad due to stress pollution. The FF is doing fine here. Still has the red spine on his fin, but is becoming more social. He dives right in with the rest of them come feeding time. He seems to pal around with the Flame Angel too.

I figured this would be my last fish, but I sure would like some more colour in there. Something blue maybe. I think with the 90 gallons in the DT and the 14 in the sump I could handle an 8th fish as long as its a small 8th fish. Maybe a Blue Reef chromis? Would it get along with the other Green chromis I have?

How about yellow tail Damsel fish? They are supposed to be much less aggressive than standard Damsel fish. Anyone have fist hand experience?

All damsels are really big meanie heads, so being nicer is like being Hitler instead of Stalin, the difference is really marginal.

And i think your tank would be fine with another fish. What do you have in there currently?

An RG would be a great addition but I think Blue would the colour I'm looking for.

Currently I have 3 small Green Chromis, 1 Snowflake Clown, 1 One Spot Fox Face, 1 Sand Sifting Goby and 1 Flame Angel. Being as the Fox Face will grow much larger, I'm trying to keep the population down to 8. I was actually going to stop at 7, but THE right Blue fish might get me to 8. The RG is certainly a colourful fish, and I would love to have one, I would rather err on the side of too few fish than too many.

Thought I had looked at every fish on liveaquaria.com, seems I missed one! I take a close look at those later today. Could be interesting. Thanks!

Back