Added Coralfe Ocean Direct sand....SO CLOUDY!

Hey guys,

I started up the beginning of my tank last night, got the whole sump and pump hooked up, added my RO water added my salt, everything going good....untill i added 30lbs of Coralife Ocean Direct sand.

Yes the sand did say you CAN rinse it before hand, but it also said you could just pour it in, so thats what i did.

and even this morning it looks like this

IMG_0215_zps61da7765.jpg

Fine dust is settling over EVERYTHING, the powerhead, all along the bottom of my sump.

is there some special trick to clearing this up?

also would it be bad if once everything does clear i just take my whole sump out and rinse it since i put in "live sand".

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I started up the beginning of my tank last night, got the whole sump and pump hooked up, added my RO water added my salt, everything going good....untill i added 30lbs of Coralife Ocean Direct sand.

Yes the sand did say you CAN rinse it before hand, but it also said you could just pour it in, so thats what i did.

and even this morning it looks like this

IMG_0215_zps61da7765.jpg

Fine dust is settling over EVERYTHING, the powerhead, all along the bottom of my sump.

is there some special trick to clearing this up?

also would it be bad if once everything does clear i just take my whole sump out and rinse it since i put in "live sand".

Thanks!

I feel your Pain, going through the same thing. although poured water in after sand and dry rock was in place, and BAM was a white mess.. Woke up this am to same thing. took ou the dry rock, rinsed it all, and put back in. doubt it will help, but felt like I had to do something.
I was thinking I may run out and get a HOB carbon filter that can trap the fine white muck.\

I think at this point, the best thing to do it wait wait wait.. :(

I'll keep an eye on your thread for good advise. And If I get anything I'll let you know

Chip

When I set up a new tank, I put all the sand in first and then put the large plastic bags on top of the sand, then I start adding the water over the bag, so it reduces the amount of sand that gets tossed around. After half way filled up, I put rocks in, then fill up the rest of the tank. I usually have a hob filter that runs for a few days to clear it up a little bit and after about 72 hours it's completely clear

Just keep cleaning your filter you have there. It will clean up, shut off your powerheads for the time being and for the love of God get rid of the bioballs unless your fowlr.

Back