added my first fish

Drew8

Reefing newb
I added my first fish yesterday. 3 green chromis and a CUC. 20 assorted snails and 10 hermits. They are working like crazy!

ammonia was is at 0
nitrite is at 0
nitrate is at 40
phosphate is at 0

I did a 10% water change yesterday to start bringing the nitrates down.

Calcium is at 320 and im starting to use c-balance to bring it back up.

i want to add about 5 more chromis over time to make a school. just waiting to get the nitrates down before i add some more fish.

I also added some chaeto to my sump not refugeium and its just floating around next to the skimmer. is this alright? I have been looking at it tank refugium today to see if i want to go that route or not.

wish me luck!

Its okay for your calurpa to be in with your skimmer you just need to make sure that it doesn't get sucked up into your skimmers pump, this can cause issues.

I would go the route of the refug.

yes i am using Instant Ocean. i have half a bag left of it then im going to be switching to oceanic when i run out.

Bad news today. I came home and I lost 2 fish. One of the fish was hanging out in the rock work from the time i put him in. It never came out to eat. 3+ days. All i found of the fish was a skeleton. i guess the snails took care of it.

The other fish was fine and schooling with the 2nd fish the first day. the second day i notice something had nipped at his sides and he didnt eat any food that i put in the tank. 3rd day he had even more nips on him and hid in the rock. came home from work and found him in the powerhead suction.

My last fish seems to be doing really good though. always eating and swiming around. its color looks like its healthy.

I have read up on other peoples stories about chromis and it seems normal some make it and some dont. I think that I'm going to try one more time and whatever survives is going to be for Chromis in my tank.

I tried to feed them often. about 4 times a day because i heard that they will die off till there is enough food for everyone.

Your nitrates may be so high seeing as how you've been feeding 4 times a day lol. Before you purchase the fish have the LFS employee throw some food in the tank and get the ones that are eating. Better chance of survival.

You said that one looked like something had been nipping at it? Sounds to me like the lone survivor is either extremely aggressive,or you've got some kind of predator hiding in your rock.

i saw the fish nip at him a few times so im pretty sure it was the other fish.

but i guess it could be somthing else??

im going to see if the last one lasts the rest of the week before i try some more.

my lone fish is still acting and looking good.

I'll keep on eye out for anything else that may have killed the other fish.

Back