Added new heater now have a dead tank!

brian762

Reefing newb
So i heard the marineland stealth pros were being recalled. I went to trade mine in with my buddy who also had one. The only heaters they had were cheap Top Fins. So we bought them till our Eheim Jaegers come in next week. we put the heaters in the tanks (rinsed with RO water first) and we both wake up to find a massacre in the tanks! I lost a flame hawk, Copperband, and my Trigger is not looking good. My buddy lost a Coral Beauty, hippo tang, yellow tang, and bi color blenny, with the rest of his livestock breathing real heavy! What can be done? we both did about 40% WC and i started running carbon. Both of our clowns seem to be doing good, but other than that i think we will both have complete losses! I just dont know what to do! We have already lost well over$400 in livestock.

You didn't say why?....Did it overheat the tank? Did them temp drop below acceptable levels? What happened?

I'm assuming you didn't have heaters in it while you went to the LFS, what was your temp when you put the new heaters in? Have you tested your water today?

So you have no idea what caused it. The first thing I would do is call the LFS...maybe they're contaminated somehow.

Weird.

Well I got it from Petsmart cuz my LFS was closed by the time i was able to go. I am thinking either stray voltage or some chemical was on the heater that didnt come off with the RO bath. What i think is weird as that it happened in my tank and in my buddies tank and we got the same heater at the same time, we went together.

It probably wasn't stray voltage, it would have killed all your inverts way before killing your fish.

It probably wasn't stray voltage, it would have killed all your inverts way before killing your fish.

Thanks, thats what i was kinda thinking too. All my inverts and corals are fine so are my 2 clowns, all others are dead or just about. Do you think carbon will clean out the rest of the "chemical" that seeped that the 40% WC didnt take care of?

If there was a chemical then the carbon should help. Again though, if a chemical killed your fish I would imagine it would have affected the inverts more since they are much more sensitive to chemicals then fish.

Wow thats awful to hear I am very sorry.

I think you should both either email or twitter the topfin company to see what they say I have had great luck when I twitter issues and reference the company. If others have had the same issue maybe they will look into it thats what happened with the marineland ones.

This is strange. Maybe the temp dropped after you put the heater in?? A malfunction maybe, that is the only reason i could see....... very weird.

when you first put it in did you um........ see bubble from the heater ? if so the heater been dead cold out

that what happens to mine i had to buy a new one lol

I had a Marine stealth heater malfunction just 2 weeks ago! Miraculously all the fish and the shrimp all survived but the Clowns were sleeping on the rock!.

Back