Adding a another clown?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, so I added my wonderful Snowflake Clown fish the other day. I love this guy. He makes me smile every time I see him! I thought I had researched clowns pretty well, and understood that having one is okay. Now I have been reading that they do better as pairs. I'm feeling bad for the little guy! He seems happy hanging out with the three Chromis, but still, does he need a friend?

My tank is kinda colourless right now. Other than the fish that is. Not too inviting. The Diatom outbreak isn't helping much either! Some of my snails even have algae growing on them! (Very slight green grassy kinda stuff. Its in various places in the tank and far from an issue at this point.) I'd like for it to be a good home for all my fish, current and future.

So I have to ask, should I think about adding another clown? Will a different type of clown be okay, or should I stick to the same type? I know one needs to be bigger than the other, but should THIS clown be the big one or should I get a bigger one? I know I should stay away from Maroon Clowns. I'd love to have them for the colour, but they don't fit my tank profile. (Easy and peaceful) I also know its silly thinking animals have the same emotions as people, but I still want my friends to be happy!

I believe that a a Snowflake clown is a color variant of the Ocellaris clown. If you add a second one, I would only add another Ocellaris, but it does not need to be another snowflake. Since the one you already have is likely established and familair with the tank, I would make sure that the new one is smaller than the one you have now, and if that isnt possible, bigger than the one you have. Two of the same size will likely result in issues

If you want to add another clown I'd stick with another occellaris or a percula clown. They are closely related enough that they'll get along and can even breed with each other. Like North said, you can choose another color if you'd like it'll have no effect on your pair. And +1 to everything else North said.

Back