Adding a few Jamaican beach items to my tank

Goob

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well.

I just returned home from my sisters wedding in Jamaica and thankfully my tank was still in tact. While I was there, I went snorkeling a few times and wish I could have brought some of these fish home with me, even though it's practically impossible. Anyways, I did find some smaller additions.

A piece of rock washed up on an island we were on and it's beautiful. It's very small- approximately the size of a lighter and looks clean. We also grabbed a sea shell and a hermit crab shell. These have been out of the water for days and look relatively clean.

Can I throw them into the tank? Do I need to do anything in particular?

Thanks!

If they've been dry, I would maybe soak the rock in RO for a day or two to cleanse it a little, but it should all be fine. Maybe rinse and give a quick scrub with a soft bristle toothbrush to be safe.

Glad your tank is just how you left it, though!

Of course you can add them, the risk is that they may have some unknown bacteria, but then that is the risk we all take when we add live sand and live rock tot he tank. As kbuser said; if the items have dried then take the oppertunity and clen them a bit better so that you don't have any dried vegitation that will cause you a spike in your ammonia, phosphates, nitrites and nitrates.

Back