Adding a sump

andersoned14

Reefing newb
I got most of the sump together. Just wondering on balanceing water flow. My mag pump is pushing water to fast as it will fill the sump faster than the 1" drain will get rid of the water back to the wet/dry filter. Can I put a valve on the discharge side of pump and throttle it till I have a balance??? Or is the water going to enter the same because it is feed from the overflow?:dunno::dunno:

e9f370ec.jpg

I think this pic will work. I would like to move that over flow line to fill the sump instead of the filter.

88205094.jpg

here is the sump all installed under the tank I added a valve to throttle down the return pump. It worked but now there is very low flow through the whole filter that I feel I am wasting the pump. My new idea, which I have seen on a few forums and would like to know what people think about how it works, is to add a powerhead to the filter to move water back to the sump and let the tank drain into the filter with the mag drive pump returning water to the tank. This should allow me to let the pump run wide open and just have the powerhead move water through the sump wich will have cheato in it also once I am happy with water flow. Any ideas what gph power head I should use, was thinking of a maxi jet with poly tube??
d4dd28b0.jpg

here is the dt with my son (he could nt stay out of the pic)
let me know if there is any thing I am missing thanks

Back