Adding another clown?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
I've been missing my snowflake clown since it went MIA. Been thinking of adding another fish anyway. I'm thinking of adding another Maroon.

I have a Maroon now, was told it was a yellow stripe. If I look REAL hard I think I see a gold tone in the stripe across its nose. This Clown is VERY dark. Almost black. Lovely fish really. However, I saw a BRIGHT orange "Maroon" yellow stripe at the FLS today. My questions are:

Is my current Maroon a true Maroon?
Is the bright orange a true Maroon?
Assuming one (preferable the newest one) is smaller than the other, will they be compatible?

I had good luck have my Snowflake and Maroon in the same tank. Never any aggression. No, I do not feel the MIA clown was taken out by my Maroon! I think the SF jumped and my Beagle had sushi.

Can you post a pic of your current maroon? My guess is that both are true maroons, one is just darker (age and diet can affect coloration). As for the gold stripe, their stripes are white to begin with and gain their yellow hue as they age. How big is your current one? How big is the one you are thinking of getting. If you do it, I would put the new one in an acclimation container inside the tank for a few days to let them get used to each other with the safety of the container between them. If your existing maroon gets really aggressive then you can take the new one back to the store. If you don't have your own acclimation container, you can make one cheapily by drilling holes all through the sides of one of the petco pet catcher containers and then mounting it with magnets to the side of your tank.

Before you even ask, yes, this is the best I could do! The colour is very true to life. This picture is a bit old as this guy is about 3" long these days. He is a Tank bred Yellow Strip Maroon. I got him when he was MUCH smaller. Maybe 1" long? Not much more than that though. The Yellow colour is better seen in the shadows than it is in full light.
100_1038C_zps354dd26b.jpg

Well, I made my decision. I picked up the smaller Yellow Striped Maroon Clown today. HE is acclimating as I type. I hope that the two get along okay. Guess its just a waiting game at this point.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Mandarin but decided against it for now. I think I'll let the pod population expand a little before I add one. I looked at the Scooters too, but they were all so small. I mean TINY little guys. They were also not frozen food eaters either. Not sure I want to take on the task of training one right now.

So, I post up and fill everyone in on how things work out.

Well they seem to be doing fine. They did the "ying/yang" dance and the new one immediately did the submission dance. Can't say they are hanging out together though. He does seem to be having a good time swimming in the current though!

Back