Adding dry rock to my tank...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I know I asked this before. I'm adding dry rock (formerly live rock, now dead and white) to my tank. I was wondering if I should "cure" it first because now I'm adding 30 lbs. Last time I only added 6 lbs and that was only like a week ago. Do you think adding this much dry rock would change the chemistry and make a cycle?

thanks,
Catherine

no it will not make it cycle becasue there is not die off on the rock you could add a 100lbs if you wanted with no chance of starting a cycle unless there is still something dead on it

I am curious how this worked out.

I was about to try to seed my new dry rock in a QT tank to prevent a cycle issue but if I dont need to I would love to be able to go ahead and stick it right in the tank!

Any new advice on this process or does everyone still say its ok to throw it right in?

It depends, I've heard stories about dry rock from some places containing phosphates and releasing them into the water once they're added. I just added some dry rock into my 75 last week, I've got some diatoms growing on it this week but, it didn't spike any of my params.

I got it all from bulk reef supply but i dont guess I can say for sure.

Sure wish I have that fancy skimmer right about now.....

LOL

Back