Adding Fish to a new tank

khaotik

Reefing newb
I was thinking about adding my first fish today to my newer tank. It has been cycling for almost 6 weeks now. At about four weeks all my levels were fine.
-0ppm Ammonia
-8 PH level
-0ppm Nitrate
-0ppm Nitrite
Water gravity at about 1.025

Well I added my cleaning crew about two weeks ago. I know have a slight ammonia spike this morning at about .50 ppm ammonia. Why did this level spike up? Is the cleaning crew adding that much ammonia to the tank. Is it safe to put a first fish in tank?

Something may have died in your tank to cause the ammonia spike, how big of a CUC did you add? Also, what kind of test kit are you using and did you recheck the ammonia just to make sure there actually is an ammonia spike.

If you do have a spike right now then, it is not safe for you to add a fish right now. Ammonia can be fatal to fish and if it doesn't kill them right away, it can certainly shorten their lives.

you should wait.....if you add fish they can get sick...and you dont want to start your tank on the wrong foot..:whoopee!:..from what i have learn this hobby takes alot patiece..

I was wondering about that. I have felt that something had died. I havent seen my emerald crab for over a week. I have a 20 gallon long and added for my cleanup crew 5 nerite snails, 5 magarita snails, 2 blue legged hermit, and an emerald crab

I also had what looked likie a brittle star that may have came with my live rock. I havent seen him for almost over a week either. he was really small and came out a couple of days after i put the live rock in the tank. After about a week of having the cleanup crew i havent seen the star any more. i have had the crew in tank for over two weeks no\w.

Last edited:
I am using the API saltwater master kit. I havent got anything else besides what comes with that kit. I am going today to buy a test kit for calcium. I am having a lot of my rock turn really white. Maybe my calcium levels are out the roof

It may just be that one of those guys died. I would test it again just to be sure and if the ammonia is still there I'd wait a couple days and test it again to see where it's at.
As far as the calcium test, unless your keeps stoney corals, clams, or specifically trying to grow coraline then there's not really a reason to test for it.

Yeah, just wait until ammonia goes back down to zero, then you should be good to go. Brian is also right -- there's no need to test or add calcium supplements right now.

Also, avoid margarita snails next time. They are cold-water snails collected off the coast of the Pacific. It puzzles me why they are sold in this hobby, as the warm water in our tanks slowly boils them to death. They usually only live a few weeks to a few months for that reason. Astraea, Mexican turbos, nassarius, trochus, nerite and cerith snails are all good choices for reef tanks.

Back