Adding inverts

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
My tank is exactly 1 month old and is doing quite well with the live rock and sand. My chemistry has been very stable. I started with 3 hermits and 4 snails, 2 weeks later I got my watchman goby who I have had for about a week HE IS AWESOME I love him!

I just added my new mexican turbosnails, 1 skunk cleaner and 1 peppermint today.

I am DYYYING to get an urchin and want to know when I would be able to do that. I know with fish they say wait several weeks between but is it ok for me to get a starfish or urchin if I find a little guy I like at the LFS this weekend? Or are they counted as fishes?
:sfish:

I know it's tough to wait when you want get something new for your tank but my advice is to wait a little bit just to be on the safe side. I don't think it would be that much a problem but i'm just looking out for your tank.

On the other hand, an urchin IS an invert so i'm pretty sure it would probably be safer to add than a fish.

Just make sure everything is stable and I don't see why not. If you want to be on the safe side and have a little patience. Wait a few days/week(s) just to make sure everything is still stable just to make sure the tank is ok.

Inverts don't count towards the bio-load, so you can add them without waiting, like you have to do for fish...the only concern is as long as the inverts/cuc has enough in the tank to feed on, or else you have to feed them every once in awhile. So it'll be ok to add inverts as you please.

I added a long spinned urchin last weekend and he has taking car off all my algae problems i love um!!

My tank is only 2 months old as well

I would advise a starfish (brittle or serpent) over an urchin in a young tank. I don't think there would be enough food (algae) for an urchin. But a brittle or serpent star would be fine.

OMG I am such a noob I was so excited I forgot to write down all the stuff she told me I got and now all I remember is the ricordia mushroom. DOH!

It's ashame you don't live closer, I'm strongly considerig gettting rid of my urchins. But, you can't go wrong with a serpent star. Everytime my LFS has a harlequin weeper I buy them I think they're the coolest looking things!

Aww why do you want to get rid of them? I just really want a tank full of weird stuff. Feather duster worms, urchins, stars etc etc LOL I dont even care if I have any fish.

.....going to google harlequin weeper......

Aww why do you want to get rid of them? I just really want a tank full of weird stuff. Feather duster worms, urchins, stars etc etc LOL I dont even care if I have any fish.

.....going to google harlequin weeper......

I love my urchins, I really do but they eat all my coraline and it's really annoying. My rocks look so bland because of it.

Back