Adding live sand

Bassmunky

Reefing newb
So, I went to pets mart today to get some stuff and i noticed live sand that was on sale 7 bucks for 20 lbs. It was a partial black and white aragonite sand (normally 30 bucks). Right now i have small crushed coral, in my tank, so should i make the switch or is this a bad investment?

Make the switch.

All animals will need to be put in a holding tank.Check ammonia and nitrite the next day to see if it starts a small cycle.

You'll be glad you switched from crushed coral to sand. Crushed coral will cause problems down the road. The sooner you do it the better.

If you pour sand in a filled tank (as I did) there will be a cloud of sand in the water for at least several hours. Don't clog your pump.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in regards to live sand...if I use it, does that lower the amount of live rock I need?

I just bought it today, but honestly i think it might have been a mistake. they had to manually discount it because it did'nt show up right or something, I got lucky but it worked out and im psyched! :) 15 bucks for 40 lbs doesn't get better than that!

one trick to lessen the amount of dust cloud you get is to rinse the bag good with RO water and actually submerge the entire bag into the tank and rest it on the bottom. Reach in and cut open all the sides of the bag to allow the sand to pour out.

-Doc

one trick to lessen the amount of dust cloud you get is to rinse the bag good with RO water and actually submerge the entire bag into the tank and rest it on the bottom. Reach in and cut open all the sides of the bag to allow the sand to pour out.

-Doc

Thats the key to keeping the sand storm down.

Over a period of time a deep sand bed will actually become a better filtration system than your live rock. If starting out with 100 percent live sand in a full tank deep sand bed it can easily replace part or even all of a normal load of live rock. However, it is typically more expensive to put in a full (live sand) deep sand bed than to use live rock, therefore most deep sand beds are dead sand innoculated with a little live sand. I have a hard time considering bagged, shelf stored, sand as live sand. A shallow sand bed will never out perform live rock. A sand bed should be less than an inch deep or over 6 inches deep to be both safe and or beneficial. If you want cosmetics go for an inch. If you want animals and wrasses go for 3 to 4 inches. If your major concern is biological filtration go for 5 to 6 inches deep (this is a deep sand bed).

Last edited:
Back