Adding More Live Sand ??

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
I Want To Add About 10 More Pounds Of Live Sand To My Tank.. Can I Do This If My Tank Has Already Been Running For Months And Will It Affect My Fish ???? Should I Turn My Filter And Pumps Off When I Do This , I Am Assuming Yes .. Just Need More Input. Thanks Again!

I think it was here that I once heard that you can take a bag of sand wash it off real good and if you have room in your tank set the whole bag in there and cut it open in your water and release it slowly. I am sure that you would still get cloudy water but what the hell right? I added sand after mine was running and everything was ok I just added it slowly one cup at a time. with the power heads off it settled overnight leaving the filter running if its a canister will help but make sure to clean it regularly!

When I add more to mine, I put a little at a time over a few days, but I have heard that you can put the bag in there if you have room and cut it open,

As long as it's live sand, you won't go through a cycle or anything. I don't turn any pumps or anything, what i do is i pour a little bit of sand in a small container, and sink it slowly into the tank. If you do this carefully, you won't have any sand stirring once you put it in the tank. Then lower it as much as you can, and just pour it slowly into the bottom. I've never had a sandstorm doing that method.

I just added some. All I did was put it in a small cup and lowered it to where I wanted it. I aslo turned off all powerheads and pump. I had no cloudyness. If your using live sand do not rinse it.

You know i am going through a second Diatom algae outbreak. I just siphoned off a bunch of sand and reduced my lighting time to 8 hours with no daylights, to help control it. I hope it helps, but when i am ready to add more sand, i will remember this thread. Anybody have any other ideas, beyond what i have already done to control diatom algae?

I Had The Same Thing Happen Goose !! Just Cut My Lights Down A Couple Hours And It Cleared Up. Check Out My Pics, There Is One Where The Whole Tank Is Brown !! I Hated It !!

HERE YA GO GOOSE !
THEN
MAY30TH004.JPG

MAY30TH003.JPG

AND NOW ....
jan302008001.JPG

jan302008002.JPG

NOW THE ONLY THING THAT IS HAPPENING IS ALL THE ALGEA IS DISSAPEARING !

Looks good! Now i hope that my tank follows along with your tank. Things look better today, but i may have to siphon again in a few days to be sure. Then add some more live sand to replace what i took out. Thanks for the pics, it's always nice to see other peoples progress.

No Problem, I Changed The Tank Like 5 Times Since Them Also. Im Adding About 10 Lbs Of Cured Fiji Rock And Live Sand This Weekend I Hope !!!!

Back