adding more live sand

Nimboli12

Reefee
Id also want to add more live sand to my tank. Who would be a good source for live sand ? The last time bought it from Petsmart in a clear bag. The sand was damp inside. That was a long time ago though.

Pretty much anything you buy in your local store won't be very live.
If you already have live sand, you can either save your money and buy plain sand which will become live from your current sand, you can take a chance and buy sand from a local hobbyist, or you can get some real live sand from some place like Tampa Bay Saltwater. They scoop the very top layer of sand right off the ocean floor. Doesn't get any more live than that.

Live sand has to be kept wet to stay live. That's why it was damp inside.

If I were you, I'd save your money and just buy dry sand. Since you already have rocks and sand in your tank, you already have the bacteria living in it. The dry sand will become live sand when you add it to your tank.

Am I correct in saying that you have to rinse the dry aragonite sand thoroughly before adding? And add slowly with a cup lowering to bottom? I was thinking about adding some more as well....

It can be pretty dusty, so rinsing it will reduce the dust, but won't eliminate it. You are going to have cloudy water either way. I would rinse it.

A good idea is to get some PVC that is longer than your tank depth, then add the sand slowly through the PVC pipe. That will reduce cloudiness too.

Back