Adding More Rock - Dry or Live?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I'm going to be setting up my 50g soon. I need to add about 30lbs of more rock. Do you think I should buy more LR or just add dry BR and let it turn live over time? I've spent a lot of money lately having to buy another skimmer and another ro/di system and don't want to spend another $100+ on rock.

Then it's settled. I'm going with dry rock. I have roughly 45-50lbs of LR already and 30lbs sand. I'm thinking the dry rock should get seeded quickly.

yea, and not to mention that if you add the live rock, you could cause the tank to "crash" and take out some of the life that you already have established..... my vote is BR as well, cause its basically inert, and will only over time help your system, but wont cause too much of an imbalance now... if that makes sence...

yea, and not to mention that if you add the live rock, you could cause the tank to "crash" and take out some of the life that you already have established..... my vote is BR as well, cause its basically inert, and will only over time help your system, but wont cause too much of an imbalance now... if that makes sence...

Yep, makes perfect sense. Thanks

Dry rock is also SAFER. :D No nasty hitch hikers on dry rock.

When I build the new LPS tank, I'm going to use 100% dry rock. It will all seed during the cycle. I'm not getting in a hurry with the new LPS tank. I'm going to let it sit empty for months and months just so I can monitor my live rock and watch for pests.

Back