Adding More Rock

Al Vance

Reefing newb
Hello:
I have a pretty established tank of almost 2 years.
It started as a Fish Only. Now I want Reef!
I have 2 large live rocks in there used to help cycle the tank.
The fellow at my local store says I may add live rock after it has been cured with no spikes!
Will someone confirm this before I buy some and add it as I have an Anemone 2 Clowns a Cleaner Shrimp Many other Invertabrates inclusing Emerald Crab. I have 2 Corals one a goniopora and the other Zoo's. And would hate for them to die.
Should I add it 1 piece at a time. Say week by week?

Please let me know!
THAnks,
Al

you can you just need to be sure that the rock has been fully cured. Meaning when you purchase it, it will be in a tank with water, fish or inverts and hopefully corraline growing on it. Alot of times stores will have cured rock that they keep in a bin/container that is cured but they may have added some newer peices etc. to the container that will restart the cycle on the cured peices.

If you are purchasing it of the internet, I would set up a container, like a rubbermaid and cure yourself.

+1 Winy
To be sure your getting cured rock from your store,give it the sniff test.
Actually get your nose down there next to the rock.If it has any kind of ammonia odor to it,then don't buy it.

+1 everybody i just want to add by saying add the rock slow maybe just 10lbs at a time then a week later another 10lbs until you have the amount you want

..or else, you could add some dry rock to your tank and let your live rock seed it, which will eliminate the possible cycle and the possibilty of adding unwanted pest to your tank...that's what I always do when I want more rocks in my tank.

Just added about 20 pounds of Dead Rock. Nothing seems real thrilled about this. My Tang is upset. Tried playing dead on the substrate. Should I do a water change or wait and cause less stress on the tank. My dominant clown fish was biting me like crazy. I waited around a half hour and fed, they all seem to eat, good sign? Is it alright if equipment is against a rock? PLease let me know
Thanks,
Al

This is going to have an effect on your system as it cycles. Keep an eye on your fish. Just because they're eating now...... It my take a few days to see problems they may have. It is okay to have rock against equipment as long as it doesn't effect it in any way, i.e. break it, keep it from working, etc... Probably best not to though.

I thought dry rock. It was kept in a seperate tank from the live rock and was called base rock.
The guy told me it would turn into live rock from the pieces I had in my tank.

Usually,base rock will be dry when you bring it home.
Any tiime you add rock,dry base or live,its going to stress the fish some what.Any thing like that changes the fishes territory some.

They molt ? I found mine dead, then seen his shell moving. Thought someone else took over his shell. Good grief, I've got a lot to lean !!!!!

If it's his exoskeleton then it will be lighter in weight and a little transparent. If it is indeed the crab then it will smell a little too.

hmmm don't know, didn't get that close to it. Kinda closed my eyes as I carried it to the trash. I'm squeamish when it comes to dead things, skeletal or not.

Back