adding rock from display

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I was thinking of taking some rock out of my established 46 and adding it to my cycling 180. the main reason is I can't picture it as far as aquascaping and amounts go. I'd like to take all of it out except for a few pieces for my corals and fish, then put the rest in the 180 so I can start rearranging things. Will my coraline and stuff die off my rock if I throw it in? Should I wait or do it now? Any of the rock that has corals I can't get off would stay in the 46 till cycling is done

The coralline is going to die if it's exposed to air, even for just a few minutes. But that's no biggie, it'll grow back. I'd be more concerned about all the other living things in the rock being added to a cycling tank. If I were you, I'd wait until the cycle is over, to minimize die off.

I wouldnt think the coraline would die off that quick biff, mine didnt anyways. I did have some pretty thick plates but when I was stacking mine I had it laid out on towels on my floor and some of the pieces where out for as long as an hour and they are still purple.

I wouldnt think the coraline would die off that quick biff, mine didnt anyways. I did have some pretty thick plates but when I was stacking mine I had it laid out on towels on my floor and some of the pieces where out for as long as an hour and they are still purple.

agreeificationism

in other words... I agree :mrgreen:

As long as the coralline stays wet,it will not die.It is common for coralline to bleach-die off some during a cycle though.

I'm saying that because the coralline on my glass dies off every time I do a water change. And it's exposed for about 10 minutes, max. Maybe the coralline on rock is more resilient because the crevices hold more water in, or something.

I'm saying that because the coralline on my glass dies off every time I do a water change. And it's exposed for about 10 minutes, max. Maybe the coralline on rock is more resilient because the crevices hold more water in, or something.

If you'll turn the lights off when you do a water change,then the coralline wont die off.
Dont ask me why,cause I dont know why.I just know it works.:mrgreen:

Back