adding sand

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
How does everyone go about adding sand without starting a cycle and making a mess? I was thinking of just adding a few cups every week, or how much can my 46 handle in one shot?

When I have to add more sand.I usually just do a 1/4 of the tank at a time.Wait 4 or 5 days,then do another 1/4.
Not had any problems doing that so far.

I added sand recently and did the same. You don't want to cover and kill small life , like pods, on the surface of the sand so you would never want to put even a thin layer over the whole tank.

When i first start my tanks i put the sand in first then i put in a bowl and pour the water into the bowl.When it starts to overflow the water will stick to the rimand side and in to the sand making no mess

If you have a new tank and want a DSB of like 6 in. can you add it all at one time or should you do it over several weeks or months?

When starting a new tank, add the sand all at once.

In an established tank, where you already have layers of bacteria and inverts living in the sand bed, do it gradually.

Seeing this is about sand. When you clean your sand off during water change can you put that sand back in the tank?

Back