Adding sand...

Ryan

Reefing newb
Is it safe to slowly add sand at the bottom of my tank if the bag is almost touching the bottom? There's some patches that get low that I would like to fill. Also I hear that it's bad to let air touch your sand coming out of the bag... what are your thoughts?

The easiest way is to take a scrap peice of 3" PVC pipe and use a funnel at the end sticking out of the tank and than put the sand in the pipe and let it slide the sand to the bottom.

If it's live sand I use a soda bottle. I cut off the bottom. fill it up. Slowly put in tank,. Lower to where I want the sand to drop and unscrew lid. Sand falls into place.

At the risk of repeating myself - I had a catastrophe (my first, and so far only) caused by adding live sand to an established tank. All my vertebrates died within 2 weeks of adding about 2 cups of the stuff to the established sand bed... my lesson learned was - add "dead" sand when you need to...

Piggy, not 100% sure it was the sand - but the die-off happened within days of the introduction of the sand - starting with the fish that lived in the sand - and moved up until all the fish were gone. My instincts tell me it was the sand (nothing else checked out - and it was the only change made). We thought it might be stray current, but it wasn't...

Piggy, not 100% sure it was the sand - but the die-off happened within days of the introduction of the sand - starting with the fish that lived in the sand - and moved up until all the fish were gone. My instincts tell me it was the sand (nothing else checked out - and it was the only change made). We thought it might be stray current, but it wasn't...

I'll bet there was something in that sand Kevin.We never really know whats in the bag for sure.

Back