adding shrimp/starfish.

buddy08

SPS Addict
ive had my tank up and running for just under 3 weeks, friday i added 10 hermits and 4 turbo snails. My water pars are 0 ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. ph is between 8.2-8.4. temp is 78.2 and salinity is 1.025. Im going to wait another week before adding my first fish but my question is, how soon can i add a starfish and shrimp?

Also make sure your starfish is reefsafe, most stars are not. Like the chocolate chip isnt. If you get any type of linkia starfish dont let it touch the air or it will die....

I would wait until after you add your fish. Most of us have serpent stars, which are scavengers, they eat leftover food, not algae. Shrimp are the same (scavengers). So I would wait until after you have something to feed before you add them. I suppose you could get them now, but you would have to feed them, and if you feed them too much you can throw off your parameters.

I'm having to feed my hermits too since there isnt much in the tank for them to eat. im assuming its the same way with the starfish and shrimp. can shrimp be mixed together? i.e. peppermint shrimp with skunk shrimp?

I have a skunk and some peppermints, they've left each other alone so far. Although, to be fair I wouldn't really know if anything happened to the peppermints, I hardly ever see them.

so im thinking a brittle star, 2 peppermints and 1 skunk (of course not all at once and possibly not for another week or so). Just trying to figure out what to add first and when i can add it. Would it be better to add a fish instead?

It's really up to you. I don't count inverts toward the bioload of the tank. I really don't see a reason you can't add a fish and a shrimp at the same time.

It's really up to you. I don't count inverts toward the bioload of the tank. I really don't see a reason you can't add a fish and a shrimp at the same time.

wow can i get some of those non pooping clean up crew critters to pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.anything that eats even if it eats crap adds to the bio load hello:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

If you are thinking of a star fish, i would go with either the serpent or brittle stars. The real starfish, like the sand sifters, linka, formania etc need a more established tank. But the brittles and serpents well do fine, and are a great member of your CUC. But you will need to feed them. I would give them a chunk of shrimp or scallops every few days while your tank is young.

I purchased a black brittle star fish and peppermint shrimp. I was going to just get one blue chromis but my LFS was sold out. Theyre getting a big shipment tomorrow, but i'll be working so i went ahead and got the shrimp and starfish. I got them a grazing block to eat, that way it will feed the hermits too. Its coated in gel and sits on the bottom so its not disolving in my tank.

What kind of fish are you going to add? I remember one of my mistakes (one of many) I wanted to get rid of some aiptasia and I picked up a couple of peppermints. Well I forgot to mention I have a falcos hawk in my tank. It was like ringing the dinner bell I couldn’t help the poor peppermints they put up a good fight but to no avail. That damn hawk ate better then I did I can get a full course shrimp dinner at Red Lobster for cheaper then what I paid to feed the hawk. Remember we learn from others mistakes and lack of research.......:grumble:

my wish list for fish.

2x Ocellaris Clownfish (1 orange, 1 black)
1x Coral Beauty angelfish (flames to much $)
1x Foxface
3x Blue Chromis
1x Wrasse (not sure which type yet)
1x goby (again not sure which type)

the peppermint shrimp molted last night, the starfish is chilling between 2 rocks, and i found a dead hermit :[ (was a baby hermit so im hoping that was the main factor in its death. half of his body had been eaten so many another hermit got to him. idk but it def worries meee. Im not sure if it were crab moltings, i just found it floating on the bottom and it had all its colors but a yellowish abdomen

Last edited:
I personally would not do the chromis. They have a nasty habit of killing themselves off until only one is left :(

And i would not worry about the hermit

I wouldnt worry about it personally. I would just get a general idea of the fish you like and would work in your setup, and then add fish as your lfs gets fish in that you like (remember to wait at least 3 weeks between additions) or order them. But remember your stocking limit! That list you have a really pushing it, probably a little more than you should have. But remember, research before you buy! No impulse buying!!!

Back