Adding to my CUC

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
So, I need more CUC. All my hair algae has been eaten by my sailfin.... but I've still got some cyano, and maybe diatoms. Hard to tell. Mostly it's in my sand bed, but I also still have quite a lot of regular (green) algae growing on glass and rocks. So, here's what I'm considering getting to supplement my cuc.

5 of these: Detail Page

5-10? Of these: Detail Page

1-2: Detail Page

3x Detail Page

any other ideas? Experience with these guys? thanks in advance :^:

thumbnail.asp

This is Bob he is a Diamond Goby and I watch him for hours he is the forman of my CUC and works his gills off. He turned my entire sand bed in a couple of days..:bounce:

Tell me how the cyano grazer snail works out.I have to see it to believe it,personally.

Looks like the good list to me.Trochus are my favorite snails.Look like astreas but move like turbo snails.

That's a good question. With a tank as big as mine, who really knows?

The other night, I couned15 snails on the glass, plus 2 turbos. Most of the snails in there are actually hitchhickers-- stomatella snails that reproduce at a decent, but not overwhelming, rate in my tank. As for hermits, I only have two-- 1 blue-leg and 1 scarlet. Don't want any more hermits. I have 3 shrimp-- a fire shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, and a pistol. There were 2 peppermints in there at one point, but haven't seen 'em in ages. I have 3 emerald crabs (one of which is ginormous), and 1 pom pom crab that I never see.

I've also got an urchin, and the sand sifting goby. But he's on strike lately. :mrgreen:

Would this be ok: Detail Page
I think it's a linka species?

Here's the list from that site, which I've actually been working from already:

It has happened to everyone, or if it hasnt, probably will. You get a nuisance algae problem. The following is my 10 Step Plan for getting this under control. Remember, the problem didn't happen overnight, and it won't be cured overnight either.

1. Remove Nitrates and Phosphates from the source water by using RO/DI water. Done, always have.

2. Do more frequent water changes. One a week is a good place to start. Already do.

3.Manually remove the nuisance via pulling it out by hand, forceps or siphoning. Did that, and for the cyano, it caused a major tank-wide outbreak.

4. Cut back on lighting, totally blackout the tank for a week or at a bare minimum, cut the lighting time in half. I have many sensitive corals. I've cut the photoperiod back as much as I'm comfortable, but I am not yet desperate enough to black out.

5. Increase your clean up crew. More snails and crabs are normally a good idea. attempting to do this now.

6. Reduce the amount and frequency of feedings. Every two or three days will not hurt the fish. I feed every other day, and worry because my new tangs are still pretty skinny. Not willing to cut back on food any more.

7. Rinse the frozen foods (thaw, pour out water, put in tank) Been doing that, too.

8. Add a refugium, or if you can't, then consider using fresh macro in the tank. Got that, with a DSB and lots of macro growing in it.

9. Quit using additives such as coral growers and filter feeding foods. Even though the bottles may say they dont add phosphates and such, they do impair water quality. Don't add anything.

10. Get a protein skimmer. Have a very nice skimmer rated for 750g.

So, as you can see, I've already been over the list and eliminated as many sources of problems as possible. Now it's time to add to my CUC. but thanks mike :)

I'll add number 11 to that list.

11. Look for overlooked sources of nitrates. (ie the sponge on your siphon tube for your overflow that you never considered to be a filter of any kind)

I just add that cause I was baffled with mine until that stupid sponge finally clogged up enough it was restricting flow. Amazingly I removed it and wow talk about the differance. I still use the songe on the return pump and to seperate my fuge from the pump but wash them out weekly.

I did the same thing, although I never had measurable nitrates. I'm going to be getting a GFO reactor soon-ish, I think, but I still don' think my CUC is up to snuff.

I been researching the GFO thing. ccCapt recently posted me a reply with an article on how GFO worked. Look under water chemistry I think. It really looks like it may be worth doing.

Back