Additional Lighting?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I'm upgrading to a larger tank again, a 65g. Anyway, I just got a new Catalina light fixture that has (6) 39w T5's for a total of 234w. I need to add more light over the 65 to keep it in the 5wpg range. I'm thinking about adding a Coralife 36" T5 fixture that is 78w total or a power compact light. My question is do I have to do more T5's or will PC's be ok? I'm trying to stay a bit cheaper since I just shelled out a lot of money in the past few weeks for my tank.

Pesonally,the 6 bulb T5-HO fixture is plenty of light.I believe even those Catalina's have indivdual reflectors.You can add either PC or T5 but why?Would you even be able to get in the tank.

Yes, it is 24 deep. I'm actually not getting it now. The lady sold it to someone who wil pay higher. So I'm looking again. I might go w/ a 75 since a lot of them are available.

Pesonally,the 6 bulb T5-HO fixture is plenty of light.I believe even those Catalina's have indivdual reflectors.You can add either PC or T5 but why?Would you even be able to get in the tank.

The reason I was asking about more light is becuase I have a clam and I'd like to keep some SPS in the furure. I thought I would need around 5-6 WPG. I know that's an old idea, but I want to be sure I have enough light. Since the 65g tank I was going to buy has been sold I'm thinking about a 75g. They're more readily available and just as cheap. Will my lighting be ok for a 75g to keep the corals I want?

Back