Additives pls. advise

mikej2336

Reefing newb
Hello gurus I'm thinkin of buying some corals one of these days so I want to ask everybody's opinion re: calcium additives and such to maintain a healthy and stable water parameters (i.e alkalinity, calcuim phosphate etc.) I am plannning to put a corals that are hardy and would not require/demand rich calcium. I have read jhrnb reviews and all but I wanna know what additives are you guys using coz there's alot out there. Thank you in advanced.

IMO it's best to not worry about using any additives until you start testing and find something off and go from there. Personally, I use Kent's Turbo Calcium to keep my calcium at a stable level and Brightwell magnesium to keep my mag up. Haven't needed to do anything for Alk so far since it's been stable at 8dkh. I try to keep my Calcium at 400-450 Mag around 1300 and Alk between 7-10 and thus far everything seems to be healthy and corals growing at a good pace.

If you do water changes once a week or every other week, that will take care of most of your parameters. If you test for calcium and you find your tank is deficient, you can use an additive. I use Kent Turbo Calcium or Kent Liquid Reactor for that. All the other stuff, I wouldn't worry about.

Like Biff said, until you start getting lots of stony corals, your CA level should stay positive with water changes.

However, once it starts depleting due to increased demands, there are a lot of options. I really find Kent A&B to work really well.

On the rare occasions that I need to dose for calcium,I use either Turbo Calcium or Brightwells Calcion-P.For alkalinity,I use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.

Just to make it as simple as possible. And you already got a good answer but, I'm really bored right now. The salt you add to your water should have everything you need for your tank in it. Like calcium, Magnesium and Iodine. But once you get your tank well established, the stuff in it could start eating up the minerals faster than you can do water changes to replenish them. But that probably wont happen for many months unless you have a ton of money.

Last edited:
Back