Additives/Supplements

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
In setting up my tank and doing a lot more research about additives and supplements I thought I would ask ya'll what you use and what do you feel works best.
I want to add an auto top off for my sump and add kalk at that time. What other additives should I be using? Buffers, Iodine, minerals???????
I intend to have softies, LPS, and some SPS in this tank.

Basically,dont add anything you dont have a test kit for.
Kalk is good,but its got to be dripped after the lights go off for the night.
Other than that,all I dose is calcium and buffer(carbonate alkalinity),along with magnesium.Which all 3 are done with the Brightwell Aquatics products.

Yep listen to yote(as alwasy). I will be testing and dose Ca, Alk, and Mg when my tank is up and running.

Water changes will take care of most of the systems needs.I do test for calcium,akalinity,pH on a regular basis.I keep the products handy but I haven't had a need to use any products yet.

So basically what I am doing for my current reef setup. Although I do not check the Mag. I guess I should have been doing that all along but didn't know until now.
All of you who answered have (or will soon have) large tanks. I am planning on setting up my top off on a float(melvsreef style) and adding my Kalk to my make up water. Did I miss understand this? I get that it will have some effect on the PH but it appears that most people are adding it to their make up water. Which will cycle on and off through out the day.
Currently I add very little calcium, buffer, or iodine to my 75gal setup.

Thanks again for the great help!!!!!

Back