adoption

mcmusashi5

Octopus Wizard
i got this yellow tang for free at petco because it has a jacked dorsal so im gonna take care of it anything important that i need to know

just the basics really... did you QT it? if it has a "jacked up" dorsal it could be because it has a problem, thats really strange your petco just gave you one! ours is stingy about replacing a $1 fish! but congrats on the new addition. more than likely if they are giving away fish its probably on the verge of death :( keep a close eye on its eating habits and behavior

post a pic of it so we can see if we see anything outta the ordinary, your tank size is a tad small but it should be alright... be sure to give it extra algae sheets to munch on!

Congrats...and keep a close eye on him, feed the algae sheets with garlic added, it'll help boost his immune system.

lol why thank you yote!! if i've learned anything its QT EVERYTHING before stickin' into your tank... I finally got rid of that spat of jellies that were living in there!

have you ever had a tang before? if not look em up and do LOTS of research, that was my mistake when taking on new fish... i ended up mixing things i shouldn't, over-stocking my tank due to the advice of the highly recommended petco employee (i'm not a big fan of them anymore LOL) who has "years" of reef training, annnnd just not testing enough. Tangs are prone to diseases, my friend has one that i swear, whenever you LOOK at it wrong it comes down with something...

thanks for all the help guys ill try to get a pic. i try to buy from petco to get the wonderful cheap! fish out of the bad tanks they have like gardens of buble algae

thanks for all the help guys ill try to get a pic. i try to buy from petco to get the wonderful cheap! fish out of the bad tanks they have like gardens of buble algae

thats good and all but sometimes, its not worth the money. I too *tried* to *save* the poor shriveled BTA and it ended up stinging my other corals and then killing itself by going into the powerhead, TWICE!

i've also bought fish from there in hopes that with a lil QT, and some love and meds they would get better... I just as well figured with all the money i've spent there to no rewards that I'd boycott them. our BRAND NEW petco has a HORRIBLE setup for ALL their animals and i refuse to shop there and have reported them to the ASPCA for stuff like that... the tanks have more dead fish than alive ones and everything is STRESSED to the max. plus i honestly believe they charge WAY too much for a shrimp, i mean, $40 for a PEPPERMINT SHRIMP!? WTF! :grumble: lol. honestly our petco treats everyone like :pooh: and acts like i don't know anything about salties, even tho i've gone in there in complete aquarium garb! its like they are blind... orr the thought of "oooo durrrr monterey bay aquarium... whats that?" goes through their minds.

ours mixes wrong fish with other wrong fish and has currently about 20 maroon clowns in a 10 g tank in hopes that people will buy this "rare amazing and beautifully peaceful" maroon clown.... ours is more about money, less about smarts. lol

Your tang should be fine in a 50g... for a while, til it starts growing. Just supplement its mysis/pellet/flake/whatever feedings with a sheet of nori once every couple days, they're grazers. They will also help plow your algae if you have any.
Yote and Sharkie have you covered too.

+1 above...definitely get the garlic dipped algae sheets in there, it'll be good to get it eating and help prevent ich...also, if you are not already dosing a Multi-Vitamin...I would start

Back