Adverse Affects of API AlgaeFix and Aiptasia-X on Corals?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
1) So...the bottle up Aiptasia-X said "reef-safe", but when I injected some aiptasias, some of the Aiptasia-X fell onto my green zoas and now they look like hell. Just a warning for anyone who uses Aiptasia-X. :death:

2) I've been using API Algaefix to help me combat the hair algae and red slime in my Biocube 14. I've noticed that the zoas in the Biocube have been shriveling up and dying, and I was wondering if the Algaefix was to blame. Has anyone experienced this? (My heater recently fried the Biocube as well, so that could easily be the issue. However, now that everything is back in check, it seems like they should be getting better, and they actually seem a little worse...)

I think the Algaefix is an antibiotic. If so, that explains why things would go downhill after using it. You can check the label.

As for Aiptasia X, it is reef safe, as long as you don't get it on your other animals. If you get it directly on your zoas, it will kill your zoas. In my experience, it's not too difficult to use and restrict to the pest anemones.

I think the Algaefix is an antibiotic. If so, that explains why things would go downhill after using it. You can check the label.

As for Aiptasia X, it is reef safe, as long as you don't get it on your other animals. If you get it directly on your zoas, it will kill your zoas. In my experience, it's not too difficult to use and restrict to the pest anemones.

I can't find anything on the Algaefix bottle about it being an antibiotic. It says: "aquarium algaecide" and recommends to use it every 3 days to fix algae problems and then continue regular dosing once a week after the algae is in check...

And, as for the Aiptasia-X, yes, I think it is a good product and it wouldn't have been hard to keep it off the zoas. I just was unaware that I had to intentionally keep it off of corals...

Algaecides are usually bad news even in FW tanks, I would commence some big water changes.

As for the aptaisia X, I've had to use it on a maxima clam shell and accidently got some in its mantle. It didn't open up for a day or so but recovered and is now happy as a.....clam. So I wouldn't worry too much about the zoos, I think it's just anems that ingest the stuff.

I've seen Chem Marin's "Stop Aptasia" kill green star polyps. I turn off the flow, apply Stop Aptasia, maybe cover it with the cut-off end of a plastic coke bottle, suction it out with a turkey baster and then turn flow back on.

I've seen Chem Marin's "Stop Aptasia" kill green star polyps. I turn off the flow, apply Stop Aptasia, maybe cover it with the cut-off end of a plastic coke bottle, suction it out with a turkey baster and then turn flow back on.

The coke bottle idea sounds like a good plan. Thanks! I'll keep it in mind if I ever need to apply Aiptasia-X near corals.

Back