Advice Needed =)

Your setup is quite impressive indeed and I see a lot of very enthusiastic answers which is excellent. If you allow; I only have one question I do not see any reference to a water cooling system or even an air conditioner... Just a reminder that they are a must, as you will easily understand.

Thank you for your input.

I need to buy a cooler, I do not know which to get.

Either the pumped water chiller or the swirly coil that you just dump into the sump.

I run 80+ degrees at times, as it gets really hot in southern california ;'(

They are expensive too! would removing my glass cover be better for surface thermo diffusion?

The only regret is that If the T5 fixture manages to dislodge from the ceiling dry wall, the guts of my bulbs would tear my tank apart!

I am stuck with having to use a cooler. This is a 40g tank with 10g refugium. Would the cooler even be worth this? maybe I should wait for a larger setup/real estate.

Take the glass top off, get a small clip on fan to blow air across the surface of the water and you will be fine. 79 to 80 more then likely with the change. More important is stability then anything. You can make a top from screen material or "egg crate" (light diffuser stuff at home depot/lowes) Well keep jumpers in and if the lights fall should keep them out...Of course if they fall you will have other issues then if it goes into the tank. Broken glass, dry wall...shudders to think about...removing the glass top will also help with the oxygenation of the tank. Let her breath..:D

Take the glass top off, get a small clip on fan to blow air across the surface of the water and you will be fine. 79 to 80 more then likely with the change. More important is stability then anything. You can make a top from screen material or "egg crate" (light diffuser stuff at home depot/lowes) Well keep jumpers in and if the lights fall should keep them out...Of course if they fall you will have other issues then if it goes into the tank. Broken glass, dry wall...shudders to think about...removing the glass top will also help with the oxygenation of the tank. Let her breath..:D

Hi Ted,
Being semi-retired, I guess I understand what living a day at a time means... I've been in the soft/saltwater for over 40 years and I still maintain this old school Biological (Low Tech) approach. So considering your equipment (Hi-Tech) I am probably the worst candidate to give you any valid advice. However if you value the hobby for what it is : a source of enjoyment, then I can probably outline a thing or two that might be of interest. In my youth the Pros argued that specific tanks were the only intelligent way to aquariophilia, well Ted things haven't changed very much... Oh technology has really changed and evolved ! However nature is and always will remain the same. So the rules of Biology, Limnology, Ichtyology are pretty much stable too. In my opinion before even setting up technological marvels, one should ask this question : What is, a reef tank exactly? And what do I want to display in this tank and at what cost, effort and time? (in fact aquariophilia requires a hell of a lot more time than money). In my very humble opinion a specific tank can be breathtaking... Two side by side specific tanks can be a tremendously spectacular sight... Now imagine three!
Allow me a step back to have a look at a typical Reef Tank. What do I see Soft/Hard/Zoas elegantly spaced at generaly, let's say six inches. Is'nt that Sarcophyton wonderful besides that Bubble..... SIX INCHES???? Hey!!! What are you talking about : A Sarcophyton can and will reach 36 inches in diameter... How are you going to keep all this menagery stunted even in an 8 foot tank...Come on...
Now imagine this extraordinary 3 inch Sarcophyton all alone (with a few little extras, of course) in a 75 gallon tank. Is that so shameful, that you would be afraid of showing it to the neighbours? I guess not Ted, you're either into self narcisism or into getting the highest possible quality of biotope for your marine friends. Imagine the neigbours face a few years later when they see the only 3 foot giant, 500 miles around...
If you still wish a piece of advice for your actual set-up just let me know. I'll be more than happy to.

well first off this isnt my thread...Gazwaz asked for advice I have given it freely to do with as he pleases. I have had saltwater tanks since 1992 I have had fresh water since 1979. To me the hobby isnt about impressing the neighbors or for that matter impressing anyone. Its a hobby. Am I a expert...no far from it. I hope to never be a expert. I try different things talk to people with similar interests for my own enjoyment. I dont even keep my main tank in the living room. Its in my bedroom. The first thing I see in the morning is my tank the last thing I see before I go to bed is my tank. The soft sound of the tank helps me sleep at night. The great thing about this hobby is there are many ways to partake in it. I tell people what has worked for me and if they want to use part of that or none of it, it is there choice.

well first off this isnt my thread...Gazwaz asked for advice I have given it freely to do with as he pleases. I have had saltwater tanks since 1992 I have had fresh water since 1979. To me the hobby isnt about impressing the neighbors or for that matter impressing anyone. Its a hobby. Am I a expert...no far from it. I hope to never be a expert. I try different things talk to people with similar interests for my own enjoyment. I dont even keep my main tank in the living room. Its in my bedroom. The first thing I see in the morning is my tank the last thing I see before I go to bed is my tank. The soft sound of the tank helps me sleep at night. The great thing about this hobby is there are many ways to partake in it. I tell people what has worked for me and if they want to use part of that or none of it, it is there choice.
Man, you just pulled the words right out of my mouth. Thanks for the heart warming talk. Take care my friend.

Advice is all good, low tech or high dont matter. A balance is a balance I feel, and strongly agree with your statement that it is better to specialize tanks to the species you want to keep. This is obviously less stress on them and their offspring in the long run!

I have two small size species clowns that keep bullying my two sexy anemone shrimp. I added them today, should I get them out?

Also, I ordered a Marineland Bio-Wheel for now. Ted, the sump idea will have to wait till I lease a unit on a bottom floor! Dont want mishap of angry neighbors, or a melting floor(yikes!).

Would you all advise if this cooler is a good investment for my 40g?

CoolWorks Microchiller Hang-On Unit

the clowns will probably kill the gobies. I understand about the sump. I ran a canister filter and a hob filter for years. I never used a bio wheel though..With hob filters you have to clean them weekly...they are good for flow and the ability to run carbon. Most people dont like them. I do, I like the easy of use. I have a hob filter on my tank now for carbon use. I clean it every week. The biological filtration will be from the live rock in the tank. Keeping a bio wheel or bio mesh pad in a hob filter or canister well lead to a nitrate issue. The chiller is a cool idea but is rated for up to 25 gallons...says can keep a 10 gallon 4 to 6 degrees cooler. I have never used one but I would be concerned if it would be under powered. I think you can get the same results from removing the top and using a fan.

New plan, My lease ends in a month.

Just got the news, will be on active duty soon! ;'(

Either going to sell my set up and live stock locally, or have people pay for just shipping.

That sucks, but will move into a bigger place abroad, and can make a new and improved setup. Trying to think on the bright side!

Back