advice on addition to CUC

My tank is Fish Only for now but I am planning on adding coral. FYI, I am a female. Your first sentence refers to me as "him". Just for future reference.

That's my point MAM, you say fish only, but you want corals too. Your stock list will undoubtedly change depending on what you go with. If you plan to have only fish for now but within a reasonably short period of time, you plan to add corals, then your stocklist should just be based on whether they are reef safe or not and plan your tank as though it is a reef even though it isn't... yet. If you are talking over a year out for adding coral then I'd say plan it as a FOWLR today and hopefully by the time you are ready to start stocking corals you will know what is and is not reef safe and you can remove the unsafe livestock at that time.

Hermits would be fine for him (correction HER, sorry). It's a fish only set-up, no corals. I have several Sand Sifting Stars and never had any problems with them at all. But I also feed my tank everyday, so I think they get plenty of food as do the hermits. May be that's why some of you might have problems with your hermits. They're hungry! Feed them.

I have been told by some that My SSS will die as well... I have 2 in a 100 gal as part of my CUC... so far they seem ok... What are you feeding your tank to help with the Stars and HC's?

Thanks!

Sand sifting stars feed on the pods and worms that live in the sandbed.Thats why they really need as established tank to do well.
Hermit crabs are a different story though.Theres not much they wont eat.Fish food,algae,fish :pooh: Thats why its great to have hermits:D

I know, I added that just to get at Dcan, but it seems his crab loving humor is a thing of the past here on LR... It's kinda like I stepped up to give him a high-five and he just turned and walked away... Left me hanging there Harpy :grumble:

I know, I added that just to get at Dcan, but it seems his crab loving humor is a thing of the past here on LR... It's kinda like I stepped up to give him a high-five and he just turned and walked away... Left me hanging there Harpy :grumble:

Sorry I left you hangin'
I do have to work sometime! :lol:

Back