Advice on my Stand?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
I got a 75 gallon tank with a stand and a 65 gallon sump on craigslist. I'm not very happy with the stand. It doesn't have any doors so the sump is completely visible. Here's some pictures:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

So I was wondering what the best way to cover up the sump is? I don't really have the money to add doors right now. Maybe a curtain? I'm okay with this but I would prefer having it covered up.

From the way the stand looks the only thing I could think of is to keep a really nice looking sump or find some inexpensive doors. Try Ikea they have all kinds of stuff and its not expensive.

I'm really leaning on the door side. I think it's worth the extra money. Can someone give me some idea of how much it might cost to get four cheep cabinet doors?

Also, the closest Ikea is an hour and a half away. So I was wondering if there's some place to get custom cabinet doors online?

Ill be honest with you some of the coolest tanks I have ever seen have displayed their refugiums as well. Its there so why not show case it?

As far as the cabinet doors, you might want to just try a google search for woodworking or door making in your area. That should yield some results. If nothing else call up a contractor and ask them who they suggest.

Ill be honest with you some of the coolest tanks I have ever seen have displayed their refugiums as well. Its there so why not show case it?

As far as the cabinet doors, you might want to just try a google search for woodworking or door making in your area. That should yield some results. If nothing else call up a contractor and ask them who they suggest.

I guess I still can make a display fuge, but this is what happened. the sump was 65 gallons, which measured 3'X18"X2'. The interior of stand is 3'X18"X30", so it really filled it up, to much. It wasn't able to get anything through the 6" between the top of the tank and roof. I had a 30 gallon measuring 3'X1'X16", laying around so I tried that out, and it fits much better. But now the interior of stand looks really empty, and I don't really like that. But looks don't really matter if you can't get anything in. :shock:

Another thing, I haven't seen any cool macro algae locally and I don't want to pay $35 shipping for a $10 piece of algae. I guess I could get my LFS to order some?

There are all kinds of cool macro's that you can get for a fuge. Some of the best looking tanks at my LFS arent even the display tanks, its the immaculately kept 'fuges he uses to filter the display that look good.

I say go for a display 'fuge. You don't see too many setups with them. If my stand and setup were more condusive to it, I would totally have a display fuge

I have heard Indo Pacific Sea Farms has great stuff, but it seems kind of expensive to me. I'd sugguest either Tampa Bay Saltwater or Reefcleaners.org for macro's

Your LFS should also be able to get some for you, mine carries all kinds of macros for $4 a plant

Wow they have some nice stuff on reef cleaners. This is gonna be really cool. I kinda want to have the whole tank, or at least most of it, the fuge. So where am I going to put the protein skimmer? Maybe get a out of sump one? Also lighting, I don't think this reflector is going to work very well for a nice fuge. Maybe a 150 watt metal halide? Or some kind of florescent that I can hang?

I am completely determined to get a mangrove plant. So this is what I was thinking of as a setup. I'll have 2 koralia nanos for flow, some rock in the middle coming close to the surface, and some sand. I think I'll go with a few different kinds of macros, some mangroves, some Halimedia, some money plant, some ulva, some mermaid's fan. What kind of caulerpa doesn't get hormonal? Omg I don't think I'm going to have room for all this stuff.

Also, how does this look? Should I paint the inside?

scaled.php

Last edited:
Back