Advice on my Stand?

I would stay totally away from caulerpa because they all have the possibility of going sexual.

Also, mangroves need a lot of vertical to grow and they take quite a while to get established. You also need to spray them with fresh water because its very energy expensive for them to get all their water from desalinating the saltwater so they will grow much slower.

Also, maybe look for a old set of t5's on craigslist. You wont need to be pick out the bulbs because you are trying to grow the macros. I just dont think that the CFL bulbs will cut it for any macro besides cheato

Alright, I'll stay away from caulerpa. But I do have vertical room for the mangroves.

If I have an 8" skimmer area (thanks to the reef octopus super space savers) and a 8" return section, and a 2" bubble trap, the fuge will be 18" long. So keeping the water height at 12" the fuge will be 18"X12"X12", which is about 11 gallons. Do you think that will be too small to have any fun with? :(

If you aren't going to go with a display fuge, I suggest something metal to cover it up with, might make for a contemporary look.

But I think a display fuge is a good idea!

That space should be enough to have fun with! Just have to be creative!

That's a nice one, but that one is for freshwater setups...it'll have more of a pinkish color instead of a blue color I believe.
And I'm not sure how that one hangs, they do have hanging kits available...I'd just legs/brackets that come work it to set it on the tank.

That's a nice one, but that one is for freshwater setups...it'll have more of a pinkish color instead of a blue color I believe.
And I'm not sure how that one hangs, they do have hanging kits available...I'd just legs/brackets that come work it to set it on the tank.

Aren't those kind of bulbs good for plants, freshwater or salt?

And about the legs. I wouldn't be able to use those because the whole tank wouldn't be the fuge. Just from 10" to 28" out of 36".

It kinda sucks. The hanging kit works on just about all of them except the one I'm looking at. The others are more powerful and expensive.

This is the 2 bulb 48 watt one ($39.90). As you can see, the top is completely flat:

52121P-2T.jpg

And here is the 4 bulb 96 watt one ($64.90). This one has the thing on it for hanging:

52303-2T.jpg

And btw, what is a good wattage per gallon for the plants and macro algaes?

Ugh this sucks. Maybe I can figure a way to hang it without the hanging kit. Like tie it up with some fishing wire above a bunch of salt water? :grumble:

I think I like the halide pendant idea better. So where would be a good place to get a low wattage (about 150) pendant and ballast?

Edit: Actually, I can go a bit lower than that.

Last edited:
Back